My yearly spend 2010

Options
2»

Comments

• gill37
    gill37 Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    what do you sell on Amazon, may i ask?? whatever it is, it seems a better place to sell than ebay going by your figures! I have never sold anything on Amazon only Ebay so am interested in your £1500 income from this site. (just being nosey....)
    :j
  • Noselfdiscipline
    Options
    gill37 wrote: »
    what do you sell on Amazon, may i ask?? whatever it is, it seems a better place to sell than ebay going by your figures! I have never sold anything on Amazon only Ebay so am interested in your £1500 income from this site. (just being nosey....)

I've been mostly selling off my unwanted DVD's and books. You have to take the "postage" spend off the £1500 for the true figure, but its still not bad.

I prefer Amazon for selling some stuff as there is no upfront fee, and no time limit for the listing.
    Debt at 1/1/11 £7,049.75, now £6,682.12 at 9/3/11
  • dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    Options
    Wow - you are certainly brave to post it all up. There's certainly some categories that can be cut down there to get that debt gone - let's hope 2011 you can improve on those figures.
    Good Luck
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • loveGSDs
    loveGSDs Posts: 317 Forumite
    Options
    hiya,

its really interesting to see where all your money has went over the year, how did you do it, is it from a spending diary or spreadsheet or something?
    Moved into dream house - 17/08/12 :D
    Savings - £600
    Xmas 2013 - £43
    Credit card - £2741 :eek:
  • Noselfdiscipline
    Options
    loveGSDs wrote: »
    hiya,

its really interesting to see where all your money has went over the year, how did you do it, is it from a spending diary or spreadsheet or something?

Hi, I keep a spreadsheet, one page per month, with a report at the end totalling it up. I update it every day without fail.
  • JES_F1
    JES_F1 Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    gill37 wrote: »
    I've been mostly selling off my unwanted DVD's and books. You have to take the "postage" spend off the £1500 for the true figure, but its still not bad.

I prefer Amazon for selling some stuff as there is no upfront fee, and no time limit for the listing.

I sell books, CDs, and DVDs on Amazon, Play, and Green Metropolis. Unless you've been able to sell items for a reasonably good price, I think you'll find postage has taken up quite a high percentage of your £1,500 ;):)

And how have you managed to compete with Amazon's ubiquitous 1p sellers of books and DVDs?!

Well done for keeping all that detail though!
    Debt Jan 2008: £45,566. *** June 2013: DEBT FREE! ***
    Paid back just under £50,000 due to some interest added.

Dealt with my debt through a Step Change
    (CCCS) DMP.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread Member #240.
  • Noselfdiscipline
    Noselfdiscipline Posts: 108 Forumite
    edited 3 January 2011 at 5:15PM
    Options
    JES_F1 wrote: »
    I sell books, CDs, and DVDs on Amazon, Play, and Green Metropolis. Unless you've been able to sell items for a reasonably good price, I think you'll find postage has taken up quite a high percentage of your £1,500 ;):)

And how have you managed to compete with Amazon's ubiquitous 1p sellers of books and DVDs?!

£480.68 is what I've spent on postage, so I've raked in about a grand from Amazon.

I've sold some DVD boxsets that were still in the shrink wrap, so they went for an ok price. Some of the books and graphic novels I've sold were out of print, in like new condition, and there werent many being sold on Amazon, so I've been able to sell those at a reasonable price. Video games too. If theres an item being sold for 1p, I personally dont bother to list mine, I only sell something if theres a few quid in it.

I'm probably stating the obvious here, but I only post by second class, to reduce the cost. I also just wrap some things in brown paper, or buy orindary envelopes in bulk. Most books and dvds dont need a padded envelope.
  • TheBex
    TheBex Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Intersting reading! Thank you.

I couldn't live the way you do!! Although I can guess what XXX is and our spends are quite similar.. ;)

I'm also very careful about my acounting... Let it go when I went DF in September so can't be sure since then - know I've spent carploads on XXX, duvet upgrades, tools and clothes. Back on it this year as am now captain saves-a-lot, so may be posting similar next year!
    Do you need it? Yep. Really? Yes! How have you managed for the last 28 years without it? Erm....
    NO NAUGHTY SHOPPING Bex.
  • JES_F1
    JES_F1 Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    JES_F1 wrote: »

£480.68 is what I've spent on postage, so I've raked in about a grand from Amazon.

I've sold some DVD boxsets that were still in the shrink wrap, so they went for an ok price. Some of the books and graphic novels I've sold were out of print, in like new condition, and there werent many being sold on Amazon, so I've been able to sell those at a reasonable price. Video games too. If theres an item being sold for 1p, I personally dont bother to list mine, I only sell something if theres a few quid in it.

I'm probably stating the obvious here, but I only post by second class, to reduce the cost. I also just wrap some things in brown paper, or buy orindary envelopes in bulk. Most books and dvds dont need a padded envelope.

Apologies - I missed the postage entry in your list! :doh: How embarrassing! :o

:):)
    Debt Jan 2008: £45,566. *** June 2013: DEBT FREE! ***
    Paid back just under £50,000 due to some interest added.

Dealt with my debt through a Step Change
    (CCCS) DMP.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread Member #240.
  • victoriaplum1
    victoriaplum1 Posts: 432 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 26 January 2011 at 11:25PM
    Options
    Thanks for posting your income v expenditure - really interesting to read - just wondering if you could clear something up for me re Amazon.....is the amount they quote at the end of the figures when you list an item, the amount you earn including any postage - i.e. do you deduct the postage cost to yourself from that? I assumed you had to post 1st class too, unless the item was so heavy it was outside the general postage charge? Also do you sell alot of paperbacks on Amazon - I would like too as find it less faffy than ebay but find alot of ones I try to list I end up not bothering too as people are selling them for 1p on there - I have only listed more obscure things where the profit may be a little higher - only ever sold off bits and bobs though not got into it seriously yet as you can probably tell from my 'obvious' questions!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure