money or my health?

Options
hiya all, i work 16 hour and have two boys aged 7 and 3. i have been put on the sick from the doc or depression as i cant cope with work, and the kids..
My 3 year old is disabled and i get DLV high care for him, and carers allowance.
Work no this and i find that they arent bothered about my life..
I have to work every day 3 hours a day, and due to where my shift starts i hav to put my 3 year old in day care for the full day.. even tho im just working 3 hours..
He has alot of diff probs, and me working doesnt seem to be helping him or me.
I do like working and i like to show to my children that you have to work to have nice things..
I am better off by about £60 a week working. But do i think of the money or my and my sons health?
dont no what to do...
Also if i do resign will all my money just stop? or will i get my tax cedits till the income support kicks in..
any help would b great.. im sick of thinking about it and i think its stopping me getting better.
savings for 2012.. New year new me.. Going to save save save... and not spend spend spend. :rotfl:
WANT £7000 BY JAN 2012.
Jan -£80
Feb -
March-

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can still get child tax credits and not work.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    fkelanne wrote: »
    hiya all, i work 16 hour and have two boys aged 7 and 3. i have been put on the sick from the doc or depression as i cant cope with work, and the kids..

You've really answered the question here. Trying to work as well as be a carer is putting you under too much pressure. What would happen to your children if you made yourself too ill to care for them?

While it's good to point out to your children that working outside the home is a good thing, so is caring for a sick or disabled relative.
  • suelees1
    suelees1 Posts: 1,617 Forumite
    Options
    If you stop work you can claim ESA if you are sick or Income Support because you are a carer. You won't be penalised.

You'll get full housing benefit based on your eligible rent (if you rent) and council tax benefit because of this. The child tax credits should be paid at a higher than normal rate due to being in receipt of the DLA high rate care component.

Any working tax credit will continue for 4 weeks but will be taken into consideration for any ESA and IS so you might not get either of these for 4 weeks.
    I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!
  • fkelanne
    fkelanne Posts: 706 Forumite
    Options
    i really dont no what to do.. i dont want to let me kids down or my mam and dad.. i no i have got a harder life then some but dont want to be labled at a single mam on benifits..
    But i do need to think about myself and my kids..
    Dont want to struggle with money, and i am better off working.. and the price of things have gone up so much.
    savings for 2012.. New year new me.. Going to save save save... and not spend spend spend. :rotfl:
    WANT £7000 BY JAN 2012.
    Jan -£80
    Feb -
    March-
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Health comes first, imo. You need to be healthy for children - especially given that one is disabled.

Is there anything to stop you working for a few hours a week? Because you're a single parent, you can keep the first £20 without IS being affected.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family