Garage lying over FSH

Options
Dear All,

Your advice would be appreciated, even if it just to say 'let it go, its not that important'.

I recently bought a second hand car (mondeo) and was told the car has a full service history. It was a mad dash to pick up the car as the one I was in broke down on the way, so I didn't give it the full once over as it was late, I also know the salesman so assumed all to be ok. I checked the documentation the next day and no details were in the glove box ref FSH, only MOT certs, manual etc.. I phoned them straight up and was told 'sorry its on my desk, i'll post it'. To cut a long story short I have been given the run around for the last 6 weeks now, 'oh sorry, i forgot to post it, i'll do it today etc etc. I requested them to send it recorded as I didnt want it to go walkies or claim it's been lost in the post. This is documented as it was via text.

So as it stands i still dont have the service book and i'm wondering did it ever exist?

Therefore I was wondering what is the service history worth, if anything. It has 82K on the clock, i'll probably do 20k ish and then sell on, will the FSH make this an easier process?

I probably wouldn't have purchased it if it didnt have one, and more then anything I'm really annoyed with the salesman for lying and giving me the run around (especially as they are a friend but thats irrelevent really).

Part of me is tempted to say, come and pick it up I want a full refund, or should I just get on with it, or ask for some money back?

Thanks in advance

Bob

Comments

• davidjwest
    davidjwest Posts: 756 Forumite
    edited 31 December 2010 at 10:37AM
    Options
    If it was advertised with FSH and they can't provide it then they've broken the law, Sale of Goods Act 1979 - let them know and threaten Trading Standards if they don't offer a discount at the very least.

How much is FSH worth? Not much if it's for an old Robin Reliant, but quite a lot if it's a Bugatti Veyron!

I'd say around £300 for your Mondeo, off the top of my head, others would probably say more. You could look on Autotrader and see if there's an obvious price difference for cars without FSH compared to those with.
    :A
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Options
    The Service History for that car should be on Fords database if it was done by a main dealer. By now it should have had 5 services and the next one is due at 87500 and is a major, around £200. What is important is the annual body inspection stamp - if you get corrosion anytime in the first 10 years you can claim on the 10yr anti-corrosion warranty.

As for FSH when selling. I bought mine at 90k. It had FSH which was a big factor at that mileage on a 3 1/2 year old car. There are so many ex-fleet ones out there with FSH that it makes sense not to buy one without.
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    davidjwest wrote: »
    Robin Reliant

Call me Mr Picky, but there's no such beast. There was/is, however, a Reliant Robin.:p
  • davidjwest
    Options
    Call me Mr Picky, but there's no such beast. There was/is, however, a Reliant Robin.:p

Yeah Mr Picky, that's why I said it wasn't worth much.

:D
    :A
  • Bobbysocks
    Options
    Thanks guys.

Nothing is ever simple! I had first dibs on the car so it was never advertised, I remember verbally asking 'does it have FSH' and he said yes. Also all our messages that I have kept state 'i'll send it off today etc' so he cant argue that it didn't have one as stating he'd send it confirms he agreed it was in place. Maybe not argueable in law but it at least backs up my claim at an early stage, just in case he turns around and says 'i never said it has FSH'.

I am happy with the car and it was a good price, I just have a real issue with people lying, not doing the right thing, and stringing me along.

Hammy - There are so many ex-fleet ones out there with FSH that it makes sense not to buy one without. I take it you mean makes NO sense? Thanks again!
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Couple of points here; I never, but never sell to friends or family and I'm surprised that your friend hasn't already learned his lesson like the rest of the trade. Did this friendship translate into a discount, extra goodies?
    The other point is FSH. Traditionally this was a nice PDI to date dealer book all supported with mileage and dated invoices. Now, if there is a fistful of MOTs to support the mileage (despite company/hire/lease cars all doing their heavy mileage before the first MOT) private sellers think this is OK. Similarly a service book with fastfit/letraset stamps seems good enough too.
    I think you should speak to your friend again and ask him what he thought constituted a fsh and cast a good, critical eye over the car again and from its condition, not mileage or history, judge if it is value for money.
    With any luck you will be driving a nice, tidy, reliable and cheap to fix car.
  • diggingahole
    Options
    Sorry but you should have checked FSH prior to parting with the cash, you don't appear unhappy with car so move on.
    Legally I don't think you have a leg to stand on as car wasn't even advertised with FSH.
  • Bobbysocks
    Options
    Thanks Colino, wise words. Cars aren't really my think, and I can live with the lack of FSH, bare faced lies just annoy me and as a point of principle I wanted to let him know how i stood and wanted some facts from the knowledgeable first.

Diggingahole, its a very long story and normally I would, but I had to fly out on holiday the next day (driving to airport with bags etc and parking booked), it was 9.30pm and I just needed to get home and crack on. Valuable lesson learn't.

Ta
  • diggingahole
    Options
    Bobbysocks... One thing you might try as you say you knew the seller.
    If FSH hasn't appeared, even if it was a 'misunderstanding' ask the seller to give car a full service as a good will gesture, and due it's mileage do try to find out if a cambelt change is required.
  • Bobbysocks
    Options
    Thanks - funnily enough I'd thought of exactley the same compromise. Interestingly he wont answer his phone to me but I'll persist!!!!

I 'll look into it but I think it has a cam chain and a 100K change necessary.

Thanks all much appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport