Credit Card in Carribbean?

Options
Hi,

I've used this site a fair few times so thought I'd join. I'm going on a Carribbean cruise in 5 weeks and have read the advice about using a credi card and taking less cash.

My question is, will credit cards be accepted on most carribbean islands and in taxis etc? I don't want to take less cash then end up with the card not being accepted in most places.

Thanks,
Andy

Comments

• mickey234
    Options
    Visa and Mastercard are universally accepted in the Caribbean, but you will need US$ for Taxis, etc.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Definately don't expect to be able to pay for a taxi with a credit card!

Also, I would always try to check the correct taxi fare before you set off (hotel reception, tour operators rep or on the ship) and then also agree the fare in advance (many Caribbean islands have a set charge between places rather than a meter). If you do find a meter in the taxi, make sure it is set to zero.

Small denomination US Dollars are I always find the best bet all over the Caribbean.
  • kazd
    kazd Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    Options
    We were in Jamaica a few weeks ago, cards are accepted but they use the swipe method. Two days ago call from credit card company to say card had been cloned and attempted use in the USA, once at McDonalds and once in an electrical store to the tune of $4500!!
    £2.00 Savers Club = £34.00 So Far

+ however may £2 coins I have saved in my Terramundi since 2000.

Terramundi weighs 8lb 5oz
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport