Already Got a Barclaycard. Can I apply for Barclaycard Platinum?

Options
Hello, hope everybody has had a good Christmas. (thats the buttering up over and done with).

I've Just seen that Barclaycard are offering 0% for 17 months which is great. However, I already have a Barclaycard (regular, not Platinum) which has a zero balance (I only use it for inernet purchases now).

Its my Virgin card that I am concerned with. It has about £5,000 on it which I lose a lot of sleep over. I want to transfer that £5,000 onto the proposed new Barclaycard Plat. Is this possible?

I spent money on my Virgin card and went over the limit. Virgin have now started charging me a whopping £100 approx monthly fee for going over my limit. I only had 0% on it for 7 months.. and now its costing me a fortune to clear the debt. I am putting in about £250 per month into paying it off, but of course, in reality, i'm only paying off about £150.

Thank you for any help.

Comments

• MFWannabe
    MFWannabe Posts: 2,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is the limit on your current Barclaycard? It may be worth ringing Barclaycard and asking them if they have any offers for you wanting to transfer the Viring card debt. They may well offer you a good deal to transfer the debt to them
    31/03/24:  Debt total £12,400/13,192.13
  • Jerryjerryjerry
    Options
    FREEZ wrote: »
    What is the limit on your current Barclaycard? It may be worth ringing Barclaycard and asking them if they have any offers for you wanting to transfer the Viring card debt. They may well offer you a good deal to transfer the debt to them

Thank you. I'll give it a go tomorrow.
  • ironlady2022
    Options
    FREEZ wrote: »

It's always worth ringing them up and threatening to leave. Do you know how your credit rating is? As it's such a good balance transfer card it will be difficult to attain!
  • Jerryjerryjerry
    Options
    mayling03 wrote: »
    It's always worth ringing them up and threatening to leave. Do you know how your credit rating is? As it's such a good balance transfer card it will be difficult to attain!

Surprisingly my credit rating is very good. I have a 3,500 overdraft facility with my bank I never use. I have that Barclaycard which I pay off each month in full, and only ever spend up to £20 on - even though I have a £7,000 limit on it.

This Virgin card is really breaking my back. Got my statement this morning, and its actually £6,000 I owe! I'm paying back as much as I can each month and it doesn't appear to be going down! The interest is just too high.

I am going to phone barclaycard today to see what sort of a deal they can offer me, to move that money over. Thank you for your help.
  • ironlady2022
    Options
    Good luck, let us know the outcome!
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mayling03 wrote: »

Although he says his credit rating is good that appears to be based on the amount of unused credit with the OD and Barclaycard.
    He has gone over-limit on the Virgin card and there must be a risk that Barclays decide, if they are looking at the account, to cut the credit already available with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure