Santander Card- £1000 balance cancelled?

Options
On November 30th I recieved a letter from Santander saying that there was a problem with my PayPal card and that I'd be recieving a new one, along with a new pin, in the post shortly. I recieved nothing, made a phonecall, and was told that they couldn't get my details up as their system was being updated. Phoned again the week after to be told the same thing.

Started to grow concerned at this point as I had no access to my online account due to their change, worried anyone could be using my account if neither my card or pin had arrived at my house.

Rang again today, a whole month after the letter, to be told that as I'd not used my card in over a year they'd cancelled my account. I said, that can't be right, I had a balance of about a grand on the card, but they assured me none of my details were on the system, and that it had been cancelled and I didn't need to make any further payments.

I checked my online bank accounts to see if my direct debit had been taken out this month. They'd taken out the payment on the 6th of December, but then I noticed on my list of direct debits that theirs had been cancelled, so they have no way of charging me any more.

This all seems very odd to me- why would they cancel my debt of over a grand? Anyone else had a similar experience with them?
Debts Next, £514 ~ Overdraft, £1100
Funds America Pot, £1910 ~ Car Tax Pot, £49.45

Comments

• immoral_angeluk
    Options
    On November 30th I recieved a letter from Santander saying that there was a problem with my PayPal card and that I'd be recieving a new one, along with a new pin, in the post shortly. I recieved nothing, made a phonecall, and was told that they couldn't get my details up as their system was being updated. Phoned again the week after to be told the same thing.

Started to grow concerned at this point as I had no access to my online account due to their change, worried anyone could be using my account if neither my card or pin had arrived at my house.

Rang again today, a whole month after the letter, to be told that as I'd not used my card in over a year they'd cancelled my account. I said, that can't be right, I had a balance of about a grand on the card, but they assured me none of my details were on the system, and that it had been cancelled and I didn't need to make any further payments.

I checked my online bank accounts to see if my direct debit had been taken out this month. They'd taken out the payment on the 6th of December, but then I noticed on my list of direct debits that theirs had been cancelled, so they have no way of charging me any more.

This all seems very odd to me- why would they cancel my debt of over a grand? Anyone else had a similar experience with them?
    Itcould be they've mixed up your account with someone else, personally I would write to them with all your up to date details, account/card numbers, last known balance etc. It's pretty certain the debt is still there and eventually they'll correct their balls up and come chasing you for the money, so it's best to get a paper trail started now so they can't argue it was your fault etc.

and why yes... I am cynical ;)
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • jen245
    jen245 Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Totally agree with immoral_angel, they will eventually realise theyve c*cked up, and they will want their money, this is Santander we are talking about here!
    Debt free and staying that way! :beer:
  • RhiRhiMajic
    Options
    I know what you mean...the issue is I do online banking with them so haven't got any paper statements, and I can no longer access my online account. I cut up my card over a year ago as I've just been paying it off ever since so I don't have that number, and the new card never arrived so the only thing I have is an account number, which their systems don't recognise. No clue what I should do!
  • jen245
    jen245 Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I havent been able to access my Santander Zero card online for a year, and they cant fix it, I have to rely on the telephone service which is cr*p. I normally just pay it off every month if I spend on it. I have only kept the card because its good for travelling, no fees etc, but Im getting fed up with not being able to see my transactions until my statement comes through, so Im now looking to get rid. Its the last Santander account I have left, Ive closed the others, so cant wait to get rid of this now! :T
    Debt free and staying that way! :beer:
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just explain as you have to us and give them full name and aaddress , that should be enough to trace you, or it would be for any other company!
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • RhiRhiMajic
    Options
    sammyjammy wrote: »
    Just explain as you have to us and give them full name and aaddress , that should be enough to trace you, or it would be for any other company!

I've phoned again this afternoon and they've said that their system can find me and says my account is cancelled. The guy on the phone told me to make a written request for a letter stating my account has been closed, which I'm doing now. I'd like to believe that's my £1000 cleared in one fell swoop, but I'm not that lucky!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family