Dog owners with young children....which pram/buggy

I thought it best to post here as I'm sure there will be many dogs owners with young children/babies who could possibly advise......

We are expecting our first child and have 3 dogs, I also compete in doggy sports and can't think of anything more important then to have a pram/buggy/travel system which will put up with the amount of off road walking we do, not to mention the mud and weather that comes with dog sports, being outside all day. We alos holiday at cottages with our dogs in lakes, coastal areas ect.

so what have you got/used and what would you adivse? I'm guessing a 3 wheeler would be a good start but anything else or any spacific brands or models I should look at?

Many thanks in advance :)
DMP Mutual Support Thread Member No 315
Married 03/04/2010
with many thanks to MSE Wedding board
LO 23/03/12 Special thanks to TTC thread

Comments

• sarabe
    sarabe Posts: 564 Forumite
    My daughter, like you, had three dogs when her first son came along and she had a Jane 3 wheeler which I can vouch for. We walked in some really rough terrain - only thing I would have changed would have been to fit an engine for the uphill bits. :D
    A dog with a behaviour problem needs help not punishment.
  • gemmaj
    gemmaj Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Don't know if it would suit you, but I often used a sling while walking my 2 dogs, as I had my hands free then. Mind you I only went as far as a park, so not proper offroading!
  • alanalea
    alanalea Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I had an Urban Detour from Mothercare that was a real workhorse. I don't have dogs, but live near a forest and it was fantastic. You can pick them up 2nd hand really cheap as they're an older model. (It's a 3 wheeler)
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."...Miss piggy
  • Thank you for your replies so far :)

I will check out the Jane 3 wheeler and the Urban Detour now, thanks for those tips.

As for a sling gemmaj, I think it would be a great idea at first, having all hands free so can hold the 3 dog leads will be perfect, just hope I don't have a large baby! lol
    DMP Mutual Support Thread Member No 315
    Married 03/04/2010
    with many thanks to MSE Wedding board
    LO 23/03/12 Special thanks to TTC thread
  • cleomolly wrote: »
    Thank you for your replies so far :)

I will check out the Jane 3 wheeler and the Urban Detour now, thanks for those tips.

As for a sling gemmaj, I think it would be a great idea at first, having all hands free so can hold the 3 dog leads will be perfect, just hope I don't have a large baby! lol

You can still use a sling with a big baby! I have an almost 2 year old who is lets say on the chubby side heehee and I carry her in a sling on my back, don't feel the weight as it's spread across both shoulders. I think you can put them on your back from 6 months ish, if you get a wrap that's just like a long piece of material then it will work on your front as a newborn and then on your back when they are bigger :-)
  • vroombroom
    vroombroom Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    ooooh thanks for starting this thread, I will be watching with interest! I am due in April and I have two dogs x I was planning on using a sling:D
    :j:jOur gorgeous baby boy born 2nd May 2011 - 12 days overdue!!:j:j
  • Storm0112
    Storm0112 Posts: 14 Forumite
    i would have to recommend either the quinny speedi or the maxi cosi mura, both are great on any type of terrain and i have had both and also really easy to push and my lo is very comfy in them hth x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure