Overpaid Tax Credit Award

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Janie -

Appeals can take a long time (especially if there's a lot of them ::)). Try giving them a ring to check the current situation and to make sure the appeal is going through (or ask your MP to do it as they are already dealing with it).
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • sarahe
    sarahe Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello all
    I was using ukparents to vent my IRS anger - but .....
    yes, it took me and my MP and a parliamentary ombudsman to sort out my ctc - it was a simple case - I had a baby and the computer didn't like it. It was sorted out finally in March - I got my money backdated.
    Then to my horror in April I got an award notice that stated that I had earnt NO money last year and I would get £3500 in ctc. We smiled and thought nothing of it - another error! Imagine my surprise at the end of the moneth there in my bank account the money.
    I got in touch with my parliamentary omdsman - nice bloke - and the IRS have said that I have to pay it back at £40 a month for about 8 years!
    Will we spend the money? How will it effect our council tax credit that we are trying to get?
    It is ludicrous - apparently we can't just send them a cheque and say sort it out!
    We then got a bizaar telephone call that initmated that it would all be sorted and we could keep some of the money . That's nice - doubt it will happen.

I did think ours was an exceptional case of mistakes that the IRS have made - it seems not!
    Ours should have been the simplist case in the world to sort out - it wasn't so I can only send my sympathy to those that have had fluctuations in child care and wages.

I echo the get in touch with your MP - if you are brave enough - I wasn't watchdog or a similar type programme!

Sarah
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ours should have been the simplist case in the world to sort out - it wasn't so I can only send my sympathy to those that have had fluctuations in child care and wages.

my wages vary each week depending on the number of hours i work. Just agot a letter yesterday from IR asking for more info from, to basically confirm what i have just told them in the last form...
    its beoming almost more hassle than its worth now. I dont think i will win any appeal, as i think the IR will get there moneyt some way or another. I iwll try and appeal to MP sometime, but can see them saying okay, as a compensation or something, only say repay us 80% back. But its sound like a good idea to hassle your MP, i supose that one reason they are paid by us (via taxes).
  • janiewai
    janiewai Posts: 42 Forumite
    Sarah another UkParent here!

How do you get hold of a Parlimentary Ombudsman?
    if i had known then what i know now
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Janie,

Have a look at this site: The Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • sarahe
    sarahe Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello
    I got my MP involved in August in October I asked for it to be referred to a Parliamentary Ombudsman (PO)- only an MP can do this I was told.
    The PO turned down my case and said I hadn't given them enough time to sort things out ( 4 months till I asked my MP + 2 months with MP letters) so I had to wait for them to muck about with it for another couple of months - just before Christmas they agreed to take on my case.
    It took him another 4 months to get things sorted - ie I got some money then in May they overpaid me as someone had inputted my details wrongly. Zeroing may wages for last year! Iimmediately a deposit was made into my bank - and there it sits!

My MP was great I hope the new one will be too
    Sarah
  • devrock
    devrock Posts: 10 Forumite
    Just this morning I recieved a letter from IR saying I
    owe 3100 to be paid in 30 days as in other cases we notified IR about this over payment and were told that
    the money was ours my Wife asked the lady from the
    IR to confirm that the money was ours which she did
    and they would not look it back that call took place in june now 3mts later they want it back spoke to CAB who say we should have asked for conformation in writing as in other cases money is now spent will IR
    take payments monthly and if so over how long and
    what interest ???
  • I got a letter stating that my wife and I had been overpaid tax credits since April this year with incorrect payments currently amounting to £1960.52.

A telephone number was given (01772 232182) if we wanted to discuss this which we did. We've been trying to call on this number all the past week but nobody ever answers the phone or a 'busy line' message comes on. (Out of curiosity we dialled this muber at midnight - andgot a 'busy-line' message. The line closes at 5PM).

Has anybody ever managed to get through on this number?

We called the advice line and was told that looking at our record it is more likely that we have been underpaid! We were also told not to pay back the amount supposedly owing but to keep trying to contact the IR on the number. But we never get through!!!
  • :rotfl: I received a demand for repayment of tax credit (£1861.15) in August of last year, relating to a 3 mnth period from April'07 until July'07 because I hadn't filled in my Annual Renewal Form. This was because I was married on 9th July so I submitted a new claim as a joint claimant. I had previously been claiming as a single parent of 2 young children and was perfectly entitled to the money I was receiving.
    I appealed the IR decision to reclaim the money and lost,even though one of their advisers had told me not to bother with the Renewal Form and just fill in the new claim. I was threatened with legal action on 20.12.07 (nice crimbo pressie!!), if I didn't repay the money immediately.
    I have got my MP involved who finds the IR's treatment of me 'Appalling and scandalous!' He is referring my case to the Paymaster General.
    Will let you all know what happens, my MP is confident I'll get it sorted, but reading some of the other posts I'm not so sure!!
  • skintas_2
    skintas_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    i was overpaid about 2 years ago, my fault couldnt find oh p60 form, left his income as blank. we got back dated money over £5,000. i saw the error rang them to tell them. they told me to keep the money and they have written down as spen, . i am entield to something like the ten pounds a week, £545 a year. its i think this april i will owe £3000. its gonna take me about 5 years to pay it all off together.............
    i will be debt free, i will
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport