Under 19 lloyds tsb unplanned overdraft.

Options
Hello, I received a letter today from lloyds tsb informing me that i have been given an unplanned overdraft for the money i requested, however from the information i had on my lloyds tsb account on there website i did not take out more money than i had in.

But i have just checked there and noticed i am 2.00 overdraft and it says the money was took out today on the lloyds tsb site. So i contacted the company who took the money out and they said it was on the 20th 2 days before the lloyds tsb letter was sent.

I phoned lloyds straight away today twice and they told me they could not see any overdraft and it appears the letter was an error.

But ive just checked now before i go to sleep and the 2 charges have appeared and are dated the 30th.

Where do i stand?
since lloyds tsb gave me wrong infomation by saying on my account online i had enough money to use i bought the item online.
and the charge only appears to be now ?

can they charge me since i'm 17 what is the best thing to so when i go and see them tomorrow ?

Comments

• jd87
    jd87 Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 December 2010 at 4:12AM
    Options
    [STRIKE]Must be an error. Under 18s simply can't be given credit. Full stop.

Ok they can in rare circumstances involving a guarantor, etc, but that's not the case here.[/STRIKE]

Just done a quick google and it looks like lloyds will let you go slightly O/D on this account, but they won't charge any fees or interest. So either way you'll be fine.
  • norris88
    Options
    I was regularly allowed an unplanned overdraft of £50 with Lloyds TSB while I was under 18, but was never charged anything for the use of this. I am unsure why they are allowed to give you the unplanned overdraft when under 18's are not allowed to be given credit, but hey, Lloyds are a load of **** anyways ;)

If you have been charged for going overdrawn, when you are not legally allowed an overdraft, I would mention this to them, and also the fact that they informed you that there was no overdraft on your account, then you were hit with charges!

When I was with them, about a year ago, they refunded charges 3x so I would ask about this too if they are adamant you need to pay them.

Also, fight black and blue for the fact they should never have given you an overdraft as this can affect your credit rating in the future...

HTH
  • Rupert_Bear
    Rupert_Bear Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Options
    Reiterate to them you are under 19 and not responsible for your actions of any kind!
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    norris88 wrote: »
    I was regularly allowed an unplanned overdraft of £50 with Lloyds TSB while I was under 18, ...

If you have been charged for going overdrawn, when you are not legally allowed an overdraft, I would mention this to them, and also the fact that they informed you that there was no overdraft on your account, then you were hit with charges!

Would you have accepted the charges if they had been raised by LTSB for having to refuse payment on stuff that you spent without having the money?
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • ironlady2022
    Options
    Under 18s are not allowed any sort of credit and they should not have allowed you to go overdrawn! This is very ill practice for the bank!
  • ElkyElky
    ElkyElky Posts: 2,459 Forumite
    Options
    Reiterate to them you are under 19 and not responsible for your actions of any kind!

So if a 17 year old commits murder, they aren't responsible?

Utter tosh. A 17 year old is just as responsible for their actions as anyone else.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    7891368 Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    ElkyElky wrote: »

Utter tosh. A 17 year old is just as responsible for their actions as anyone else.

You're criminally responsible from the age of 10.

But I wouldn't give an 11 year old an overdraft even if they are 'responsible' (For their actions). They're two completely separate areas as far as law is concerned.

To the OP; they can't charge you if you are under 18, if you are under 18 with an u19 account this might be different. I know they offer a student overdraft for those at college of up to £250.
    War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
  • Rupert_Bear
    Rupert_Bear Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Options

OOOOOH:rotfl:
  • PNPSUKNET
    PNPSUKNET Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Options
    has the op got his mum to signup her ,hes under18 lol
  • realaledrinker
    Options

Are you American by chance. They don't do irony either.
    Ethical moneysaver
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport