Help with 0% credit card

Options
I currently have £1800 of debt on a lloyds tsb airmiles credit card. I would like to transfer this to a credit card which has 0% interest asap. I work part time at the moment which may go against me.

Please can any one help and advise. Thank you
Debt free wannabe
Littlewoods - £214.82 (DD set up so 0%)
Very - £100 (0% on BNPL - 1/4/13)
CC - £2600/£3533.53 (0% until 1/6/14)

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried applying for any cards yet?

Working part time won't go against you as such but your income level compared to any debts/existing credit you have may do so.

What is your credit history like? do you have any missed payments on your report? or defaults or CCJs? do you have an overdraft and if so do you use it every month?

Who do you bank with? this is a list of cards that have 0% promo deals for balance transfers - http://www.stoozing.com/0fees.php.

You would need to look at the acceptance criteria to see whether there is any chance of acceptance before you apply for any card - eg for any card issued by MBNA you will see the criteria at the bottom of the page of the link above (eg a homeowner over 23 earning more than £20k per annum). For other card providers I would look at the T&Cs on the bank websites.

The list in the link above also mentions some other specific criteria - eg often you need to have your current account with the bank in question.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • cookiedough38
    Options
    I have just applied for a barclay credit card and been accepted for a 0% on transfers for 14 months and 0% for the first 6 months on purchases.

I am not very wise when it comes to things like this, hence why I ended up in debt in the first place. So does that mean if I transfer the full £1800 there wont be any interest put on until after 6 months?
    Debt free wannabe
  • littlekitty2010
    Options
    it means that you will not be charged interest on the balance transfer for 14 months and not be charged interest on any new purchases made with this card for 6 months
  • cookiedough38
    Options
    lovely thank you
    Debt free wannabe
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Have they told you what credit limit you will be given yet?

Do you need to put any purchases on the card? its probably better to just do a balance transfer for the £1800 or the maximum you are able to if it is less.

Which barclaycard were you accepted for? Only I thought they only had 3months 0% on purchases?
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family