Dubious Helifax/Bank of Scotland email

My son had an email last week supposedly from Bank of Scotland/Halifax asking him to click on a link regarding activating his online account with them befor its too late. As he has never requested an "online" account he hasn't responded. We never click on links anyway. It probably wanted details and passwords-no chance! If he needs to attend to his account it will be done at our local branch.
Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults

Comments

• carol9uk
    carol9uk Posts: 917 Forumite
    hi i have had two scam emails one with nationwide and other with TSB who i dont have an account with. they are cons, delete them
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    Bank of Scotland don't EVER send emails out like that to newly registered users.

You get a password sent in the post if you register.
  • gyzmo
    gyzmo Posts: 624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nor will any other bank. I am, if the emails are to be believed, the proud owner of 13 different bank accounts in the past month, along with a total expenditure (in the past year) of £1, 253,087 on purchases that I have supposedly made on my credit card that does not exist.

Best advice is to bin any email supposedly from a bank. You can always visit a branch or call them to check that any info you receive in an email is genuine.
    Don't bother trying to sue me - I've got no money!
  • I always forward them to the real bank, in the hope that it helps the fight against these people.

I use spoof@nameofbank. Use the proper name ie type it in,,spoof@halifax.co.uk,,not a link in the fake email!. They have never bounced so they are real address's (maybe lol)
    3.78 kWp PV SolarEdge with iBoost South facing.
    30° pitch roof 4% shading. Installed 6th June 18.
    Gloucester
  • Any good email application (such as the excellent gmail) should put these in the spam directory. Also the bad grammar and spelling should be a giveaway! :cool:
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I think a lot of them actually get missed by spam filters because they are phishing emails and many of the ones I've had weren't the usual spam as they were to addresses passed on specifically by legitimate companies rather than them speculating on the existence of email addresses. As for protection Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox 2.0 both have inbuilt anti-phishing features and if you do happen to click on a link to a false login page it should warn you it is fake.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • Seraphim
    Seraphim Posts: 246 Forumite
    For Halifax, forward any suspicious emails to onlineemailinvestigations@hbosplc.com with the title of the email as 'Report'.

It might also be worth forwarding the email to reports@banksafeonline.org.uk
    They are the banking industry's initiative to try and help customers stay safe online
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure