We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

To Late to plant spring bulbs?

I planted my daffs as planned in october, i forgot about my others , tulips/snow drops ects and after all the cold weather ive not been able to plant them.

The snow is gone now, and temps are around 5-7 were we are.

is it now too late to plant these bulbs so they come up with my daff?

Comments

• maering
    maering Posts: 25 Forumite
    Tulips can be planted in Dec, though here the ground is still frozen. and I'd risk the snowdrops as they are likely to be harmed more if you hang on till next year.
  • kemo_2002
    kemo_2002 Posts: 1,507 Forumite
    thanks ive also got iris and crucus, i dont think its still frozen here, although i havnt had a proper luck, i dont want to plant them and they all die :(
  • amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    I'd save the effort TBH. They'll come up late with very weak flowers and won't regain any strength for next year; given the price of bulbs is rock bottom why 'make do'?
  • maering
    maering Posts: 25 Forumite
    Cut the flowers to preserve the strength, into the leaves & bulbs. I'm always buying stuff that is sold off late & most of it is fine with a bit of TLC
  • Mithos
    Mithos Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tulips planted now will be fine, they will most likely come up later than ones planted in the last few months... and other than having to watch out for slugs (as they will be more active as it gets warmer) you should get a nice display.

They did an experiment on Gardeners world last year, which is how I know it works :D
  • CLARABEL
    CLARABEL Posts: 444 Forumite
    hooray!

Just bought tulips from focus on monday. I just couldn't resist them at 10p a bag, and planted the lot out in pots with both fingers crossed. here's hoping then!

x
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    CLARABEL wrote: »
    hooray

Just bought tulips from focus on monday. I just couldn't resist them at 10p a bag, and planted the lot out in pots with both fingers crossed. here's hoping then!

x

Good luck & enjoy your later display
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Mithos
    Mithos Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 April 2011 at 8:03PM
    How did everyone get on? :D Mine were planted in sets of 3 varieties at the very end of 2010, the first variety is just finished and the 2nd two have just come on.

Some basic pics, looks more impressive in real life haha. Not bad for 50p for the lot (24 bulbs in total spread over two containers). I appreciate in hindsight it would have been better to buy all the same type for a more impressive display, but there you go, when they die back later this Summer I'll separate the varieties and replant in the ground in proper groups.

tulips1.jpg

tulips2p.jpg

On Gardeners world last might Mr Monty pointed out some white tulips he planted on January 24th!!!! And they looked perfect.
  • ixwood
    ixwood Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    I planted some Tulips (that had been left outside in their packet all winter) on the 6th March and they're just finishing flowering.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure