Not sure if I need to upgrade my current set up

Hi there, I get a newsletter called - Marc Liron - Microsoft MVP [update_xpress@updatexp.com]

Today it told me to "Use anti-spyware like SpySweeper or Spyware Doctor (AVOID the free software as the stakes are now to high to rely on them, except Microsoft Windows Defender as they DO have the resources behind this product.)"

I use Windows Defender and Run AVG Free with the Windows Firewall off. I use ADAware - Swat It - SpyBot. I have a Belkin Router and have it set up to be WPA encripted.

Do I need to purchase products ? If so whats reccommended.

I use NEWZBIN, Newsleecher and Giganews. Limewire very rarely.

Cheers
xxxdxxx

With compassision, good manners, kindness and dignity as your ticket you will travel far in life.

Comments

• Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    So what are you using as a Firewall?
  • My Belkin Router has a Firewall and I forgot to say I have Zone Alarm
    xxxdxxx

With compassision, good manners, kindness and dignity as your ticket you will travel far in life.
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    So long as you are using Zonealarm as your firewall you should be ok (you can't rely just on the ahrdware firewall in your router).
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • I have a wireless router with a firewall. I use Zonealarm, AVG Free, Ad-Aware and Spybot.

I've never had a security issue before and being involved in IT security as part of my job I'm perfectly happy with my setup.

I think you're fine with what you've got as it's pretty much the same as mine.
  • Thanks for all the advice, good news, I really didn't want to be spending out but am aware of increasing threats.
    xxxdxxx

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure