Spouse on home/contents insurance?

Options
Hi

I am in the process of renewing my house/contents insurance and was wondering if there are any benfits to having my partner/common law wife on the policy? The premium seems to be much higher when I include her but I can't see any benefit.

We are joint owners of the property but anything we will ever need to claim can surely be done just by me.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Dont see why it should cost more mine hasn't been higher for the past few years with different insurers and the wife on the policy.

I have it in joint names as its easier if she needs to ring for whatever reason
  • Vindiesel
    Vindiesel Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    Adding a spouse (husband or wife) will normally be cheaper as married people are a lower risk than unmarried partners.

The insurer wil normally specify due to Data Protection that you can only amend/discuss the policy if you are named on it- so if anything happens to you like you are unavailable/lose your voice, your partner can't discuss it unless she is named.

However if it costs a lot more to have your partner on the policy; weigh up whether you think it's worth it..Or get her to pay the difference!!

V
  • bashdem
    bashdem Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

Thanks for the replies. Makes sense I suppose as we are not married but are down as common law partners.

Think I'll leave it then.

Conclusion:

For cheaper premiums....

Married - Add your husband/wife to the policy.
    Not married - Keep it as a single person policy.

Cheers
  • regularsaver1
    Options
    Don;t get why it would make a difference to cost if she was named on it

just means she cannot submit a claim or make a call - only you can
  • Jo6673
    Jo6673 Posts: 825 Forumite
    Options
    As an insurance underwriter myself- I can tell you that it generally doent make much difference- but you should do it because if anything happens to you its easier to change the policy into the OH's name if they are named as Add. insured
    If you split then the OH would have to get a new policy in their name though with some companies- our company would ask for a letter of permission from either party to transfer the cover to the one staying in the house

Very occasionally we find that the premium is rated slightly cheaper if they are named but never more expensive and this is more important in motor policies anyway
    :A 17/10/07-Started Rosemary Conley :A
    Total loss so far= 4 stone 7lbs!
    In the magazine Sept 08
    :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business