microwave hotwater bottles - are they any good?

Little DSs legs and fingers are really painful at the mo with the temperature not going above freezing.
I pad him out with hot water bottles, but I've seen teddies that you can maicrowave - are they any good? Or do they get too hot for a little one to touch? Ive also seen teddies you can leave on the radiator to soak up the heat - do these actually work or do they only get lukewarm?
I'm thinking the radiator ones are something he could do himself, and he would like that (hes 10)
Thanks for any advice

(btw he has osteochondritis dissicans and mild CP)
With Sparkles! :happylove And Shiny Things!

Comments

• DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I wouldn't be without my microwave bottle. But be careful that it's not too hot, although if your son's 10 he should be ok.
  • I would forget the radiator teddies - they don't hold much heat for long.

Microwave bottles are great. You can cut down the time for a few seconds if you want it cooler. Mine has a fluffy cover so is warm but never hot.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There are two types of microwave cuddly toys. One where you take its 'stomach' out and just heat that. They're not that good.

I have one where you put the whole toy in the microwave and it's great - not burning hot but still slightly warm in the morning. Much better than the traditional hot water bottles.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    Also have you thought about an electric blanket instead of hot water bottles? May be easier on the legs?
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    DUKE wrote: »
    I wouldn't be without my microwave bottle. But be careful that it's not too hot, although if your son's 10 he should be ok.

He could put a towel under the microwave bottle if it gets too hot. I have one and they're much better than a hot water bottle.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Thanks everyone, really helpful stuff (as usual on the D&D board!)
    I think wel get a microwaveable teddy and give it a try.
    Im not sure about an electric blanket, can you get little ones? Ive had a fear of them since one in a neighbours flat caught fire, but that was about 30 years ago, I suppose they are much safer now.
    With Sparkles! :happylove And Shiny Things!
  • linni
    linni Posts: 1,480 Forumite
    edited 29 December 2010 at 2:29PM
    I have microwave teddies and the microwave 'bottles'. I find the bottles better because you get more surface area than with the teddy's. I did overheat one once and had to throw it out because I couldn't get rid of the 'burnt' smell so be careful not to over heat them. I prefer them to the normal hot water bottles - no leaking or getting burnt! I've just bought another microwave hot water bottle from TKMaxx for £6.99 and Sainsbury's had some for £12 (but they might be in the sale now).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure