DRYING CLOTHES: Heating on V tumble dryer?

Options
Dear All

As it is reaching that freeezziing time of year again, I am finding that the heating is on a lot of the time purely to dry the laundry that I am doing (and its a lot of laundry!!), regardless of the fact that none of us are particularly cold and are that bothered about heating the house.

We are considering buying a tumble dryer to deal with this, but will I be using just as much energy/will it be costing just as much, to use a tumble dryer instead of putting the heating on for a bit?

I hope this makes sense and you can see what I'm getting at :D

:rotfl: thanks in advance :rotfl:
MFW :)
[STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    It normally doesn't make economic sense to have the CH on purely to dry clothes.

Tumble dryers are expensive to run - anything up to 25p an hour - and of course there is the capital cost of buying the appliance to consider.

It is a question of weighing up how long you have on 'unnecessary' CH v the costs of a TD.

Personally I hate having drying washing draped all over the house; it either goes outside or in TD.
  • matto
    matto Posts: 650 Forumite
    Options
    I favour the heating on approach.
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    We invested in a dehumidifier a while back. It's not the option for everyone, but:

Clothes dry faster
    Condensation is reduced :j
    You can use the accumulated water on your plants (good for those of us on a water meter)

Just an idea :)
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • BaileyB
    BaileyB Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Options
    But with all the clothes on the rads how are the rooms supose to keep warm?
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Drying clothes on radiators at any time of year is a very bad idea as it puts a lot of moisture into the air in the house and will lead to problems with condensation and possibly mould. Also, dont you find the clothes go kind of "stiff"?
    Get a tumble drier, a vented one if you have the possibility to vent it. Not only will you get the clothes dried more quickly, you can virtually cut out ironing if you take things out of the drier as soon as it stops. The clothes will be lovely and soft, and your towels luxuriously fluffy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure