🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Individual DRO's for myself and my partner?

Options
Hi,

Just want to know if it is possible for myself and my partner to take out individual DROs?

Combined, our income, assets and expenditure meet the criteria, however, combined we have debt over £15,000. I owe about £13k and she now owes about £7k (we only have one debt in both our names of about £500). Therefore would it be possible for us to take out individual DROs?

Or is full on BR the way to go?

- Colin

Comments

• immoral_angeluk
    Options
    DROs can only be done individually whether you want to or not, therefore you would have to do 2 seperate applications based on your own debts etc. Even if you were going to do bankruptcy instead that would still be individual, not joint.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • IF
    IF Posts: 34,349 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Colin, Do contact one of the following debt charities. Please try these they don't charge and are impartial. They will go through all your options with you.
    • Consumer Credit Counselling Service - Website: CCCS Telephone: 0800 138 1111
    • National Debtline - Website: National Debtline Telephone: 0808 808 4000
    • Citizens Advice Bureau - Website: Citizens Advice or visit your local CAB centre (find nearest)

More Debt charities also on Fermi’s link - Click here

Debt Relief Orders - Information & help - Click here

Best wishes
    If...x
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes you would each enter in to your own DRO, each with an individual limit of 15k worth of debt, the £500 debt would feature in full on both of your applications. Total cost £180, providing you fit all the other criteria for approval.

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport