Toxic fume warning light and no power (max 10mph) - Clio 2002 1.2 16v

Options

Comments

• Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    the182guy wrote: »
    It's not losing coolant, only topped up over the course of 9 months or so.

So it's " not losing coolant " so how come you needed to top it up ? ;)
  • vl2588
    vl2588 Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think he meant not losing it quickly ;)
    Weight loss: Start weight: 80kg; Current Weight: 77kg; Target weight: 55kg
  • taker920
    taker920 Posts: 1,359 Forumite
    Options
    Maf sensor or coil pack. Pretty much the most common fault on that model apart from a leaking sunroof
  • Rossy.
    Rossy. Posts: 2,484 Forumite
    Options
    Lambda sensor is probably fubared sending the car into limp mode.

Happened on RS clio 182, changed the lambda sensors and back to normal
    If Adam and Eve were created first
    .Does that mean we are all inbred
  • the182guy
    the182guy Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The coolant wasn't below the min mark I was only a little worried about the long drive, yes I shouldn't have bothered.

The car is with a garage now, they have dianosed the fault and the car just needs some new HT leads (old version of a coilpack) and spark plugs (just incase). Just have to wait until Wednesday as the garage can't get hold of the leads - all suppliers closed for bank hol.
  • the182guy
    Options
    taker920 wrote:
    Maf sensor or coil pack. Pretty much the most common fault on that model apart from a leaking sunroof

Funny you should say that as I have the sunroof problem aswell!

You'll not guess what's going on with it now...

Meant to have had HT leads and spark plugs fitted today (10 min job) but nope, the garage is having trouble getting hold of the parts. They have given the supplier my reg no and the parts have arrived not compatible with the engine, the garage thinks the engine has been changed at some point!! So they are still in contact with renault/their supplier trying to figure out which HT leads it needs.:(
  • vl2588
    vl2588 Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Those databases aren't always correct so may not mean a new engine (if that's any comfort!).
    Weight loss: Start weight: 80kg; Current Weight: 77kg; Target weight: 55kg
  • expertlinguist
    Options
    Rossy. wrote: »

this one has my vote!
    Nobody is perfect, except me of course :D

Please note: my opinions are mine alone, nobody asked me to have them, obliged me to have them or even coerced me to have them, they are mine but they are free, so if you want to share them I will not charge you for it!
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Rossy. wrote: »

the182guy wrote: »
    The coolant wasn't below the min mark I was only a little worried about the long drive, yes I shouldn't have bothered.

The car is with a garage now, they have dianosed the fault and the car just needs some new HT leads (old version of a coilpack) and spark plugs (just incase). Just have to wait until Wednesday as the garage can't get hold of the leads - all suppliers closed for bank hol.
    this one has my vote!

Reading the thread has mine.;)
  • the182guy
    Options
    Fixed now. I don't know what the problem was exactly but here's the end of the story...

The mechanic said he would take the HT leads home and on his way to work the next morning, he would call at Renault and get them to ID the part exactly. I Phoned up that morning and guess what? That mechanic has washed his hands of the job and taken a days holiday. So basically lied to my face about what he'd do. I would have preferred him to just say he doesn't know what to do and take it elsewhere, but instead caused another delay of a day.

After 2 days, the garage basically gave up with it, told me to sell it as there is a very serious problem that they can't diagnose or fix. They had fitted the new HT leads and spark plugs, but they had cross threaded a plug or something because it was raised out of the engine and the cover would no longer fit (one with Renault logo) and the car still had the original problem - running rough, missing, toxic light.

I took this to my local trusted independant garage who said they have cross threaded something and said to take it back and let the original garage sort it. Took it back and was told the mechanic said "it's normal" to be like that but they will get the manager to look when he comes in for a second opinion. This morning went to the garage and problem is solved, plug is in properly, cover fits, car runs perfectly.

Lesson learned: In future I will be using the local indie regardless of the wait for bank hols etc. It's now booked in for a service at the idie so should be tiptop when I get it back.

Thanks for all the replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport