Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Charity Help ?

Options
Hi, I'm only 16 and want to do my first ever fundraising quiz for my younger brothers charity CLDF (Childrens Liver Disease Foundation)
So far I have had autographs from Corrie (all signed on a A3 sheet with pics), 2X John Travolta, Radio 1 DJ's and This Morning, who else can I ask. I also need raffle prizes, but most shops are saying no how can I get them to say yes. Here's the letter template I have been sending:

Dear Sir Madam,

Fundraising Quiz/Raffle – January 2011

I am writing to ask for your support for the above, which is my first ever fundraising event as I am only 16 years old, which I am organizing in aid of Children’s Liver Disease Foundation. The Foundation has been a lifeline for Callum following the diagnosis of a life-threatening liver condition in my little brother since birth. CLDF leads the field in caring for all children with Liver Disease through funding pioneering research, providing information and a dedicated families and young person’s service.

At the CLDF event I will be holding a raffle/auction and I would be grateful if you would consider kindly donating an item. We aim to raise over £200. And the raffle will raise approximately 60% of this total.
Any help you can offer will be greatly acknowledged.

Yours sincerely

L.Tucker

Who else can I ask?
Thanks

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Where abouts are you in the country?
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Laurz_2
    Options
    BANES, South West England.
  • McKneff
    Options
    Sorry, it was just on the offchance you were North ish to delivery any gifts.

Ask around your friends and family for any unwanted Christmas presents. We all get gifts what we either dont like or are unsuitable.

Be careful on the raffle side of things, there are laws to adhere to. Tombola at a quiz night is a good idea.

I have a quiz sheet I could send you but its one of those cryptic ones that you sell for a pound, people take them away and
    try to answer the questions and send them in the post back to you. Usually with a first prize of £10 or so.
    Let me know and Ill send it via this thread.

Good luck and hope your brother is keeping well.

Annie
  • Laurz_2
    Options
    Will do.
    Yes please, the quiz sheet would be wonderful.

Thanks
  • McKneff
    Options
    Laurz wrote: »
    Will do.
    Yes please, the quiz sheet would be wonderful.

Thanks

I'll have type it out and will get it to you tomorrow by PM.
  • cabbage
    cabbage Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HI

You need to tell the businesses what THEY will get out of it and get the local paper to promote your quiz. A girl of the same age as you was raising money to go to Rwanda to help in a Children's Orphanage and got the local paper involved. They promoted her table top sale and they did a follow up. This sort of publicity is what the companies are looking for as its cheaper than advertising themselves and they look at it as free publicity.

You could also do a non uniform day at school. Every one pays a £1 (either at your school/college or your brother's). Its a good way to raise quite a bit.

The same girl does Avon and donates her profits.

As for quizzes - have a look outside local pubs as they often have a quiz night (or get your parents to have a look). Quite often the people who attend or set the quiz are part of the local quiz league. If so, you could ask them to promote your charity at one of their quiz nights. Failing that, the local pub might do a fundraiser for you.

Good luck
    The Cabbage
    Its Advice - Take it or Leave it:D
  • Laurz_2
    Laurz_2 Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Okay Thanks :)
  • jennikitten
    Options
    Have you tried getting in contact with any of those women's magazines that do lifestyle stories? Could help raise awareness, & if it's paid you could put the money towards your charity as well.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Laurz and McKneff, could you please edit the posts with email addresses in: see the Forum Rules.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • scuzz
    scuzz Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    Options
    Firstly, well done for taking on such a task.

As others have said, you need to give the businesses a reason to get involved that will help them. Tell them you'll be publicising in the local paper, on local radio (this should be free for charity events in the what's on guide) and by putting up posters which will list their kind support.

I would also suggest adding more punch to your letter. Start by saying you are writing on behalf of a brave little boy who has been struggling with this illness since birth. Go on to say he is your brother and you wish to give something back to those who've helped to give him the quality of life they have done so far. Also, please don't take this the wrong way, but a letter addressed "dear sir" needs to end "yours faithfully" not sincerely.

Contact your local paper and radio station telling them what you want to do, but are struggling to find prizes/support. They might do a story for you but you really need to pull on the heart strings. This is the perfect time to strike as this is the "silly season" where not that much happens in newsrooms. You'll need a press release for this to grab their attention - a photo of your brother too would be good. And also make a point of your age, as journalists quite often like to show that not all teens are bad.

I spent 10 years working as a journalist in local radio and now work as a fundraiser for a charity, so if you'd like any help on how to approach different aspects, please do pm me. I have organised a quiz night myself in the past too.

Good luck:T
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family