Romantic few nights away on Honeymoon?

Options
I'm looking to book some time away just a few nights somewhere warm next June that isn't going to cost too much. We'd love to go to Sicily but getting there just for a few nights seems problematic (regional flights seem to be a week apart). Florence was another thought but the costs seem to spiral once you look for somewhere to stay that is fairly close to all the sites.

So a bit of sun, good food when we get there and not too expensive? Oh yes and easy to get too (we don't really want to drive when we get there).

We'd aim to fly from Manchester but could do Birmingham, Coventry, Leeds /Bradford, Liverpool or East Midlands.

Location and any suggestions of romantic hotels / guest houses would be great.

Many thanks,
Wizwoo

Comments

• djl
    djl Posts: 11,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    venice its a great place not cheap but worth it
    2015 wins £4.00 not mse:(
    2014 £44.00:mad:2013 £83.00 2012 £601.50
    2011 £1554.50 2010 £698.00 2009 £2793.00
    2008 £2816.00 2007 £1034.00
  • Lady_E
    Lady_E Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    We have stayed at Lake Bled in Slovenia at the Hotel Golf. It is very romantic , big lake with forests surrounding it almost choclate box picture. The hotel has full spa facilities and a faboulous beauty/health treatments for both men and women.We have stayed in Feb , all snow and again in early July , which was amazingly warm. https://www.hotel-golf-bled.com
  • Counting_Pennies_2
    Options
    We spent the first week of our honeymoon in Lake Garda, same time as year as yourselves and it was lovely.

Very romantic setting, with the lake backdrop wherever you are.

We stayed in the following hotel, http://www.citalia.co.uk/pages/result.asp?proid=G237

The food was great, the rooms were as you would expect in a hotel, and it was very central to Salo and access to getting boats wherever you want to go.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Try a cruise, you can pay as much or as little as you want. They are excellent value for money.
    If you are going in June, you can go from the UK or fly somewhere, cruise, and fly back.
  • Wizwoo
    Wizwoo Posts: 675 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for some great ideas. The cruise is out though. We love to be able to wander off the beaten track a bit (even in the bigger cities).

With regards to the lakes area in Italy how easy are they to get to? Where would you fly to and what about the transfers?

I love Venice - not been since I was a student when I did the typical backpacking thing. We do want somewhere nice to stay - and that does come at quite a cost in Venice.

Must say that I'd never thought of Slovenia. Again what are the options with regards to getting there / transfers?

Will look into these - anyone else got anymore ideas (if you could let me know info re: airports and transfers too that would be much appreciated.)

Cheers,
    Ww
  • Lady_E
    Lady_E Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    Wizzwoo- re Slovenia

We flew with Easyjet into Ljublana and we hired a car via arguscarhire.com which was very cheap. I think the hotel would organise transfers if you asked, but it might be worth contacting travelrepublic.com or some other company that is noted for transfers. We cannot remember if there were buses at the airport , so cannot help . Lake Bled is just so romantic yet unspoilt . Feel free to PM if there are any other questions
  • Counting_Pennies_2
    Options
    Wizwoo wrote:
    With regards to the lakes area in Italy how easy are they to get to? Where would you fly to and what about the transfers?

I think we travelled to Verona, then got a very short transfer to the lakes in a taxi. My inlaws also went to the Lakes and they went to a different airport and had just as short a transfer, so I think there are several airports that serve the lakes, so I don't think you would have much trouble in getting there.

I would contact a travel agent and ask the question.
  • cannyscot_2
    cannyscot_2 Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ryananair do a flight to palermo quite often from stansted and you can fly to there from one of these destinations if you get in early it should be cheap leaving money to splash on a lovely hotel. from liverpool you can get ryanair to alghero and can easily find some nice places there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure