Brick wall quotation - views welcomed

I have received a quotation from a builder to build two twenty foot (approx) long and two foot high brick walls on either side of my drive way. He has quoted me £6000. Does anyone know whether this is a good price or is it way off and I should get more quotes from different builders.

Many thanks.
"Those who try to make sense of the world are divided into four categories: scientists, theologians, philosophers, and fools. Correction ... make that one category with three sub-divisions" -- Carlo Kensada

Comments

• mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It sounds loads to me.

I had a 2 1/2 foot high wall about 10 foot long wall built for about £600 (it was a friend of a friend though so may have affected the price).

Get another quote anyway. Do you know anyone who can recommend builders in the area?
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • prudryden
    prudryden Posts: 2,075 Forumite
    perc wrote:
    I have received a quotation from a builder to build two twenty foot (approx) long and two foot high brick walls on either side of my drive way. He has quoted me £6000. Does anyone know whether this is a good price or is it way off and I should get more quotes from different builders.

Many thanks.
    Sounds off., however, the type of brick you are using makes a big difference. Range from .25p/brick to £1/brick. Is it one skin or double? How deep the foundation? Neighbor in West London just paid £2500 for a single skin, cheap bricks (the .25p ones), about 36 foot long, 5 foot high, with pillars, and steel rods for support. My builder said he gave the same quote, but for double skin and better quality brick. Neighbor didn't realize the first quote was for single skin and got done a bit, but the wall looks good if you overlook the cheap bricks.
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
  • He's having a laugh.6000 is way over the top.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure