MBNA £25 late payment fee... GRRRR !

Options
Took advantage of their 0% APR on a £11,000 balance transfer and immediately after arranging this over the phone, set up a minimum direct debit through their website as advised.

Paid £40 off my first new "big balance" statement as I knew the DD wouldn't be set up in time.

Get my new statement saying I've been charged a £25 late payment fee, and I checked with my bank to find NO direct debit had been set up - GRRRR ! >:(

I guess they'll waive this fee if I phone them up, but will it stain my credit history ?

Comments

• johnk
    johnk Posts: 432 Forumite
    Options
    It will not dent your credit history. But your 0% might be interrupted and interests charged. When you phone the CS, they will give you a phone number to reinstate the 0%.

Things can go more complicated if the charge puts your balance over the credit limit and hence incurs another charge. It takes me a long talk to have that refunded.
    Mark Hughes' blue and white army
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,356 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Set up a minimum direct debit through their website as advised.

Paid £40 off my first new "big balance" statement as I knew the DD wouldn't be set up in time.

Get my new statement saying I've been charged a £25 late payment fee, and I checked with my bank to find NO direct debit had been set up - GRRRR !  >:(

Can I just clarify this - did you set up a 'paperless' direct debit with MBNA OR did you request online a postal DD mandate? If the latter, you would have got this and sent it back completed, yes?

I used to get a letter confirming the DD was set up after doing this, so I wonder if you also had a letter - which would make it MBNA's error by not collecting.

With MBNA you can now make online debit card payments [very handy if paying off the balance on the balance at the last possible moment] or just set up a standing order for £5 for a number of months. I didn't try setting up a DD with my Virgin card precisely because it's not that convenient, and those £5 payments can just as easily be made just after a statement date in plenty of time...
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • sicker
    sicker Posts: 1,370 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I set aside 10 - 15 minutes at the end of each month to set uo payments by alliance & leicester home banking. Once the credit card companies details are set up it takes no time at all to set up the payment dates that you want each month.

John
  • Rochdale_Guy
    Rochdale_Guy Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    Options
    I set up the "D/D" online the paperless way for the minimum monthly amount.

They say they have no record of that, hence I missed July's min.payment hance the £25 late fee, hence the cancelling of my £11,000 @ 0% until 1/12/2005 hence the interest on next months statement rocketing to a minimum of £118 >:( :o ??? :-[ :-X :-/ :'(

She said they'd waive the £25 late fee, then said she'd get me another number to call abount the 0% being terminated but I'd have to listen to a recorded message about their D/D policy upon which I got cut off >:(

Spent the next 13 minutes in a queue on the phone when I rung back then thought sod it, they aren't charging me £118 interest when it's NOT my fault they didn't set up the DD in the first place >:(

I knewe it would take time to set up, thats why I paid £40 off the first statement. I just assumed the min. D/D would be in place when the next statement came....

Partly my fault for not checking my statement (which came when I was away for a fortnight in July!) but I just had such a pile of junk mail I thought no rush, I have a D/D in place with MBNA, no urgency to open this statement yet.... :-[ :P :-/

I think I'll just transfer their £11,000 out of my ING a/c and repay it them ASAP.

But how much do I actually owe them then ?

I've already repaid £40 since the £11,000 was "lent" to me @ 0% ?!?!

Please help :-/
  • Rochdale_Guy
    Rochdale_Guy Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    Options
    My words taken from the "MBNA - transfer money into your bank a/c?" thread, posted on June 1st, 7:18pm =

...He finally did it ...!!!

Well, finally got through on the phone tonight, and after a bit of haggling, I managed to get £11k @ 0% APR off them (MBNA) for 6 months ;D

(9 months would've been better but what the heck !).

He said if I wanted just £10k he could only do it @ 0.9% APR ..... !

Guess who got sweet talked into taking more than he wanted just so he could get it @ 0% APR :-* :'(

Anyway, he was adamant he couldn't drop the max. £35 transfer fee so a bit gutted about that :(

Never mind, I should have £11k in my bank a/c within the next 10 days to then put in my ING a/c, and I have also completed there online Direct Debit setup to take the minimum amount out each month, so am covered that way, although it DOES state make your first statements payment until you have confirmation the D/D is indeed set up.

Gotta watch out for that one :-/

PROOF INDEED THAT I *DID* SET UP A DIRECT DEBIT MANDATE ON LINE AFTER GETTING THE BALANCE TRANSFER OVER THE PHONE....

Wonder what my legal rights are now.... ?

Martin ? Anyone.... ?
  • faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    Article in yesterday's Guardian suggests CC penalty charges may be illegal.

http://!!!!!!.com/8kwc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport