Can I reclaim charges of credit card debt has been sold to debt collectors?

Options
Hi there. Could somebody help me?

Long story short... My credit card debt with Virgin Money has been sold to debt collectors, and I was wondering if I could reclaim credit card charges from Virgin Money (or would I have to go through the debt collectors - so confusing!)? If they were to pay out, would the money go straight to me or would they try and add it to my account (even if its not with them anymore)? x

Comments

• podperson
    podperson Posts: 3,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes you can reclaim the charges but need to reclaim direct from Virgin Money. Regarding where the money would go it does depend - if the debt collectors are collecting on behalf on Virgin Money then the refund will go to pay off the debt first. If the debt collectors have bought the debt outright then you can request to Virgin that the money come direct to you and not to any third party - but some people have had problems with companies not wanting to do this.
  • Firefly_777
    Options
    podperson wrote: »
    Yes you can reclaim the charges but need to reclaim direct from Virgin Money. Regarding where the money would go it does depend - if the debt collectors are collecting on behalf on Virgin Money then the refund will go to pay off the debt first. If the debt collectors have bought the debt outright then you can request to Virgin that the money come direct to you and not to any third party - but some people have had problems with companies not wanting to do this.

Thank you so much for your reply and help.

Another quick question, when requesting credit card charges from the bank, if your address is not the same as what is on the account, do i simply add the address (which is on the account) underneath the account number in the letter?x
  • podperson
    podperson Posts: 3,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can do, if you have the account number they will still be able to find you but if they are not aware of your new address they may ask for security - eg a current bill or something as proof of the new address.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure