new gas supply and e.on fix online

Options
czabby
czabby Posts: 46 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
hi guys hope you can help..particularly the e.on rep!

i have inherited my dads house in essex and he only ever had an electricity supply currently with e.on..i have now had the gas pipes done by national grid(free of charge via a grant would you believe!!)

finding it difficult to use the comparison sites with no gas supply before but notice that e.on fix online has prices held for a period and they havent as yet raised them like others and online discounts and im told as a rule dual fuel is the cheaper option

the house is empty at the moment but has double glazing and am having central heating installed

would people say this is the best option at least initially and then reassess after a year or so..and if not anyone got any other ideas..it will be a home for 2 adults and 2 children (one a baby)with cooking on gas as well so likely to have heating on a fair bit in winter months for the kids including overnight

also i know i will have to get e-on to install a gas meter if i use them as a supplier can this be arranged online as well when signing up

thanks in advance ...isnt this :Tsite great

Comments

• Airmike23
    Options
    Probably is a good idea, or atlantic/sse fixed price 3 also 1 year fixed unit rate and v competitie in turns of total annual cost for consumption
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Options
    Hi czabby

Once National Grid have installed your gas supply, you are free to contact the supplier of your choice to fit a meter and arrange billing.

Your chosen gas supplier will need the Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN) in order to sort this out for you. National Grid should have provided this in their information pack.

As far as E.ON are concerned, I'm afraid this cannot be arranged online and you will need to talk to our New Connections team.

I do understand you haven't had gas at the property before. However, you can still use the comparison sites to find an indication of which supplier is best for your circumstances.

Just pop in Ofgem's average gas consumption figure of 20,500 kWh per year. This will allow you to see all the options available.

The Fixonline tariff you asked about is the version 9 and this holds prices until 1 March 2012. However, there are cancellation fees involved if you later decide this is not for you.

As I say, always best to use the comparison sites to see the full range of tariffs/suppliers available.

Hope this is useful czabby. Give me a shout if I can help further as will be happy to do so.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • czabby
    Options
    thanks malc

the electricity is on a tarriff for the elderly at the moment i think..remnants of my dad being there arranged in conjunction with age concern i believe(hope that makes sense!!) if i did find that it would be the best option would i be able to switch online..and what are the regulators average for electricity in a dual fuel scenario for the comparison sites

and also although i have to ring new connections to get the meter again do i do the type of tariff online as well as it is an internet based one

cheers for the really helpful advice
  • czabby
    Options
    oh and meant to ask am i right in saying the installation of the metre is free of charge
  • Airmike23
    Options
    You can switch your tariff online through the eonenergy.com website, would need to register your eon customer account no first, and set up user name and password, but then can change tariff up to 8 times a year through the website.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi czabby

Sounds like you are on one of our AgeUK tariffs for your electricity. There are no tie-ins or cancellation fees applicable to this tariff, so you can change to another product/supplier straight away if you wish.

There are extra discounts available for managing your account online and paying with a Monthly Direct Debit.

You can switch to another E.ON tariff through our website. To switch to another supplier, you will need to use one of the comparison sites.

If you decide to change supplier, I would check to see if there are any cash back deals about.

Just a quick heads up czabby; we don't give discount on final bills when changing supplier. Therefore, you may wish to time a switch away to lessen the impact of this.

Ofgem's average electricity consumption figures for an unrestricted single rate meter are 3300 kWh per year.

I can confirm, the installation of the gas meter would be free of charge in these circumstances as it is classed as essential work.

Hope this answers your questions czabby. Give me a shout if I've missed anything or you need any more info. Will be happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure