18866 charges not as advertised

Options
I recently joined 18866 after hearing about it via Martin's Tips, ditching my unlimited monthly calls package.Their site advertised (& was still advertising today) local & national calls for non-BT customers at 0p/pm + 1p. I then happened to stay listening after dialling number# & realised that I was being charged 0.5p/pm +1p.The website does tell you this if you follow various links- but the non-BT homepage still prominently advertises the price as op/pm as does their pricechecker feature on the same page.So my 1hr call to my friend's local number cost me 30X what I expected.Still cheap, but certainly not as much of a bargain as it appeared to be.

Comments

• sergeant121
    Options
    Happily, you found out quickly.

Here's the list you need.
    30 years, 217 days!
  • nh
    nh Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    So when did this change happen then?
    I'm married now! Yippee!
  • sergeant121
    Options
    nh wrote:
    So when did this change happen then?
    15/9/2004.

See HERE.
    30 years, 217 days!
  • andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    to be fair to 18866 there are links on the front page to these non-BT prices, together with the date
  • knuckledragger
    Options
    Use 1899 for long calls on non BT lines.
    ...and then the window licker said to me...
  • pinkonion
    Options
    If you activate the price advisor it tells you at the start of each call the cost!
  • masterblaster
    Options
    Does anyone know of a cps service which works on cable ie non bt lines ?
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Any cps service is capable of working via non BT exchange lines. However, only BT, because of its dominant position and its licence terms, are forced to allow other operators to route calls via their exchange lines.
  • masterblaster
    Options
    I spoke with one tel who said that they couldnt set up cps on my telewest line but could send me a phone pal. I tried using the usual prefix to access one tel and then 18866 but it didnt work. Thus I dont think a phone pal would let me access 18866 as telewest wont allow it. I dont want to dump telewest cus I've set up a really nifty wireless broadband connection and changing to bt and adsl I think means a new non standard modem with an ethernet connection plus routing the bt cable all the way upstairs to where the desktop is and where the cable currently comes in. Thus my question - how to access all these cheap phone deals whilst keeping telewest ?
  • andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thus my question - how to access all these cheap phone deals whilst keeping telewest ?
    Use the 08081 numbers for 18866 and 1899. 1/2p a minute not as good as 0 but still cheap. And probably an off-peak inclusive package (maybe you've already got?)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure