GOAL Debt free by July 2012

Options
Hi Everyone, hope you all had lovely weekends and are not too bummed about it being Monday tomorrow!!!

I've never ever posted on any forum before, but I have been dipping in and out of threads on MSE for the past year or so whilst trying to decide what my plan is and how I'm going to get to where I want to be.

I have read the newbies guide and I know I should post a SOA but TBH I'm not brave enough, maybe i'll change my mind after a few weeks of posting, but please forgive this 'skipping' of the first stage.

Right, so, about me, I'm almost 24 and as you can see from my signature I've got a little bit more debt than I think I should have. So I've given myself a target date to get cleared, the date for me is significant plus just before this date will be my 25th birthday which is a milestone as I see it (closer to 30 than 20!!) this date means I need to pay off my loan in half the time it has left - which if I'm really good and really push myself I think I can do - and by putting it on here in writing where other people can see it I hope it will make me stick at at!

I've seen a few challenges I think I'll participate in and from reading posts historically I have already made £40 using OnePoll filling in surveys so it's a start.

I don't really know what i'm expecting from posting on the forum other than maybe tips and advice from the well versed in how I should start and anything I may find useful.

Hope my journey is a good one without too many hiccups along the way. I also look forward to hearing from anyone with wise words to share.

x :o
March GC £0/£150 - March NSD 0/24- £2 Savers Club #34
Loan ~ £673.42/£9770.79 Credit Card @ 0% to Sep '11 ~ £487.18/£4627.79
[STRIKE]Credit Card 2 ~ £270/£270[/STRIKE] :dance:Overdraft ~ £0/£350
--->Start date 19Dec10 Target date 1Jul12<---

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,338 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    No wise words to share at the mo but hi & welcome to MSE.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Muffin86
    Options
    Hiya and welcome to MSE :)

I have joined today although have been a member in the past but felt as I hadn't posted in so long and my circumstances had changed I should have a new user name, new name, new year, new start and all that lol

The best bit of advice I can give is to keep coming to the site, it helped me no end and not only did it help with my finances but also with my way of thinking - and to be honest Im not sure why I ever stopped coming on :think:

Good Luck with your debt free journey xx
    LBM AUG 2009 - Debts £20,000+ :eek: Debts now 13,582.06
    :j Seven Debts Paid Off :j
    Snowballing to pay debts - Muffin V's Catalogue [STRIKE]£1700[/STRIKE] £1480.00
  • missexcel
    Options
    Thanks for the comments Muffin86 and beanielou, looking forward to starting my journey!

Today is Day 1, and I'm going to set myself targets/ challenges for the coming months.

1. Join the Jan 11 Grocery Challenge (when the thread is started), I currently budget £200 for the month, and there are only 2 of us!! So going to try to reduce the budget every month by using all the fantastic hints, tips and recipe's on the forum. I think steady reductions until I reach a comfortable level.

2. Joing the £2 challenge, already got a few in my jar at home so i'll make a seperate jar to keep these in. Once a reach £100 I pay it off my loan (because £100 is the minimum overpayment I can make).

3. NSD Challenge. January starts a new year and I'll be assessing myself over the remainder of December to see how many NSDs I think can achieve and get stuck in!

4. Current account 'Change stashing' I've set up an online saver acc (just to store the pennies) everyday Iw ill log into my int banking and put the 'change' of my balance into my online saver. Once this reaches £100 I'll pay this off my loan.

5. Sell more things on eBay, I have loads of DVD's and CD's I never watch or listen too so may as well get them sold!

6. Soldier on with OnePoll, made £40 so far so here starts another 4 or so momths to make another.

These are all I can think of for now! Feelin good and very excited :T
  • missexcel
    missexcel Posts: 39 Forumite
    edited 24 December 2010 at 10:35AM
    Options
    Right, day 3.

So far i've downgraded all the items (possible) in my Tesco Christmas grocery delivery and save a few pounds :cool:.

I've worked out a rough meal plan for the fist 2 weeks in January and placed my Tesco orderso I can get the cheapest delivery slot - I usually get Saturday delivery for £5.50, but instead I chose Wednesday evening at only £3! £2.50 Saving already! :beer:

Also, got a great plan to save on lunches, make up a large batch of Tomato Sauce (Onions, Garlic, Tinned toms, Tom Puree, Oregano & Basil) Freeze some portions too. Cook up some Pasta and dollop some sauce on top and a sprinkle of cheese, heat up for a few mins in the microave at work - hey presto, cheap pasta bake!! :A

Also - Today will be a NSD!!!

Update again tomorrow x
  • missexcel
    edited 28 December 2010 at 6:00PM
    Options
    Well I'm home today, thanks to the snow, not for the want of trying - took me 45mins to get to the top of my road - when I got there I took the opportunity to turn round and head home! 1hr round trip to the top of my street!

Got home and OH's Dad is taking it off too - he's a taxi driver so although he's not making any money he'd rather that than have his cab off the road for a fortnight!!
    Not too happy he's home though (may not have mentioned he lives with us!! grr!! OH's parents split up about 1 yr ago due to her cheating for 10yrs!!! His house but she refused to move out so he sold her the house and she now lives in it with new partner, he can't get another mortgage as he's in his 60's, also has no pension as he didn't want her to get half!) So basically we're stuck...but his pittance of rent helps I suppose - I say pittance because he has the largest room in our house and his own bathroom, which means we share an en-suite, would you believe I have NEVER had a bath in my own house, and he decided his rent, not us!

OK rant over, paid more of CC today but now only ahve £7 in current account until Thursday. But as it's a snow day i won't be getting out anywhere anyway.

Plan today
    • [STRIKE]Dark wash[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Washing up[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Tidy kitchen and livingroom[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Hoover downstairs and stairs[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]White wash inc bedsheets once OH is up[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Pop to corner shop for Milk and Bread[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Make mince pies[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Make Bread Sauce and freeze[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Last of the wrapping[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Set Jan Grocery Challenge target (month is 20th to 20th)[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Set NSD Jan Target (Month Payday to Payday)[/STRIKE]
    Ready, steady, GO!!!!

xxx
  • missexcel
    edited 24 December 2010 at 10:35AM
    Options
    Well hello! - I've been thinking about what i'm doing/planning today and when I'll find time to login and update, 10 mins left at work so i thought i would nip in.

Managed to get into work today but wish I hadn't! :mad:

OH is working from 2pm today so I won't see him as he gets in at midnight....so I can get the housework done pre-christmas. And start doing what prep I can for christmas dinner.

Off home - fingers crossed the snow doesn' get me!

xx
  • LondonGirly
    Options
    Hello missexcel! I'm a a fellow board newbie, here to sort my debts and chart the progress! Good luck with your debt destruction! :o) xx
    :money:
  • missexcel
    Options
    and to you LondonGirly :beer:] here's to getting debt free!! xx
  • missexcel
    Options
    Just had my Christmas Tesco delivery arrive and I must say I love them even more than I ever have.

I use Tesco 80% of the time and with my clubcard points this year I have had a day out in Legoland for 2, a 2 night stay (in Windsor) and £55 off my Christmas shopping - with £15 vouchers left to use on my first Jan food shop to help ease the xmas sting!

All this AND my substitutions on this delivery:
    1. 2 cauliflowers instead on one large one
    2. 30 eggs instead of 15
    3. 2 packs of 170g Pate instead of 1 pack of 250g
    4. pack of KP peanuts instead of discount brand pack
    5. 2 bottles of Tesco own Lemonade in place of 2 bottles of Value
    6. Ready rolled BUTTER puff pastry instead of regular puff pastry.

The Price Match means I got, an extra cauliflower, 15 eggs, a pack of pate, KP peanuts, one brand higher lemonade and butter pastry instead of normal for FREE - this would have cost me £4.67!!!!!

Very happy bunny!

and as a reward for all my achievements I am watching some TV with a beer (which was free as OH's Dad offered me on of his!!) chiching!!!

Today's MSE rating A* :A

Last day at work tomorrow, then 4 days of Christmas things before back to the office - Looking forward to cooking my first Christmas dinner!!!

:snow_laug

xxx
  • LondonGirly
    Options
    Woho to the tesco savings!!! How did your first xmas dinner go? :) xxx
    :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors