British Gas- increase in DD when account in credit

Options
Hi,
I've received an email from BG today with my replacement bill (although I did not ask for a new bill and usually it says my bill is due or ready to view online). In the email it says my direct debit will be increasing for both gas and electric from January.
When I have previously received emails of this nature my account has been in debit, which I immediately paid in full and the direct debit was only increased by a minor amount.
I have checked both accounts and they are showing as in credit so I'm not sure why they are changing it, although I'm on fixed price until 2011 so that could be reason for price hike? I have emailed them to request an advisor contact me, but assuming that will not be until Monday now. It doesn't help sections of their online billing is down at the mo so I can't check their figures. Just wanted advice from those with similar experiences as to why the DD increase.

I've been looking at price comparisons with other providers but need to read up more about it. From what I've seen so far I could be saving £200+ a year to switch, but is it hassle free and how do I go about getting the best deals?

Thanks in advance.
Sealed Pot Challenge 2011 #1148

Comments

• SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,333 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It is possible that if your fix is due to end, and if your current price is less than the standard rate, it will work out your consumption up to the end of the fixed price, then the rest of the 12 months and work from there. It also depends how far in credit you are, and where you are in your plan year - if this is a halfway review the system may not believe that your credit is enough to get you back to zero in 6 months.

I've not worked in the DD side for a few years, but can't see the system having changed that much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure