difference in fuel consumption 1.2 and 1.4

Hello

I'm thinking of changing my car, i currently drive a 1.2 punto and i want to buy a VW Lupo which comes with either 1.0 or 1.4. How much difference in fuel consumption will this make?

hope someone can advise me on this

Thanks

Zoe

Comments

• I can't see there being much difference. If any at all. I used to have a 2 litre injection mondeo and could easily get 100 miles on a tenner. I get the same from the 1.6 Toyota I have now
    This country is called Great Britain. It would be called Amazing Britain if it wasn't for people like you pulling the average down
  • powermac
    powermac Posts: 15 Forumite
    Probably very little difference in real life driving. Be aware that although the 1.0 will probably have marginally better 'official consumption' figures it is normal for the more powerful and therefore less stressed larger engine to use no more fuel in real world driving. Out of interest you can find useful tips like this, as well as detailed info and recall data on most cars at the Honest John website https://www.honestjohn.co.uk - for info on specific cars click on 'car by car breakdown' on the left.
  • balsingh
    balsingh Posts: 1,493
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The difference in economy won't break the bank. Maybe a few mpg either way. There are a lot of factors that determine economy including the way the car is driven, the grearbox type, the weight of the car etc. You shoudl consider what the main use of the car will be. The 1.0 will be fine around town but may struggle on the motorway. The 1.4 will be perfect for all driving types but may be a bit less economical for town driving.
    If you found my comment helpful, please click the 'Thanks' button below :T
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Car mpg and engine size is all about having the enigne size to match the load on it. A small engine will give good mpg round town or on low speed journeys, but thrash it up the motorway every day and it'll be out of its comfort zone and will produce worse mpg than a larger engine.
    I'd go for the 1.4, the 1.0 will be too slow. Having said that, those 1.2 Puntos are very slow anyway, almost dangerously so, odd considering how well my old Astra 1.3 went.

Anyway, 1.3/1.4 is an ideal engine size for a smallish car.
    Happy chappy
  • vr6lad
    vr6lad Posts: 72 Forumite
    Having said that, those 1.2 Puntos are very slow anyway, almost dangerously so, odd considering how well my old Astra 1.3 went.

I disagree entirely with the 1.2 Punto being dangerously slow. I did 42k miles in under 2 years in mine and excepting the the 11% gradient hill - it was absolutely fine.

Back to Zoe's question on economy and the Lupo, My boss has the 1.4. Good little car. It's nippy enough and returning decent economy which she reckons is around the 45mpg ish mark. She loves it.

Heres a link for you on Lupos. http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews/car-and-driving/volkswagen-lupo-range-1002288.html
    As the forum have said, the 1.0 sounds a bit underpowered. The difference in mpg between that and the 1.4 is neglible, plus the bigger engine will be more comfortable on any fast/ motorway runs.
    'Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure