handing in notice of resignation but holidays booked

Options
Hi,
Need a bit of advice about handing in my notice. You see, my current employer told me that I needed to book my holidays or I would lose them so without thinking I said I'd have two weeks off as soon as I can. That starts on 6th nov. Now, I've been offered a job elsewhere, but they said not to hand my notice in until this health check comes back clear (which I know it will) and they send me a letter telling me when to hand notice in. Now, what happens if they send me the letter and I need to hand my notice in yet I'm on holiday from work? Can I still do that or will I be in trouble?

Ta,
Kkx
:A I love MSE!!! :A

Comments

• CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    You can send in a resignation letter by post while you're on holiday, or be more tactful and go in and explain you're leaving and give them the letter then. There is no problem about resigning while you're on annual leave.
  • A_Nice_Englishman
    Options
    Agree with CFC. You can hand your notice in any time, and it would probably be better to go in and expalin personally rather than doing it by post. You will want a reference off the boss, presumably!

You will probably find your holiday entitlement has reduced as you are leaving part way through the holiday year. If you've taken more than your reduced entitllement they will probably reduce your final pay accordingly
  • kittykate_2
    kittykate_2 Posts: 1,834 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks :) So, there's nothing illegal about handing your notice in when you're on holiday, I thought you had to actually work your notice?
  • Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    Options
    You must be bound by your contract for the period of the notice but this can be whilst you are working, on holiday, sick, garden leave etc as long as both side have agreed it (other than the sick one obviously ;) )

The bit you may have to watch out for is if your holiday entitlement for the year is now less than what you are going to be taking in which case it will be deducted form your final pay cheque
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Astaroth and Nice Englishmen are right and you should calculate very carefully the amount of holiday you are entitled to. We had a member of staff leave who had already taken more holiday than she was due pro rata. This was deducted from her final pay packet. She also took time off sick and was put onto SSP. By the time the deductions were taken off, she took home something like £80 for five weeks work.
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    Idea - why don't you ask your new employer if they will email you when it's time to hand your notice in. You can pick up email from a mobile email address (hotmail, gmail and lots of others) from anywhere in the world and post your letter of notice to employer then! :D
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    PS There's nothing illegal about handing your notice in when you're on holiday. In fact, if you are owed 4 weeks' holiday, it's quite possible to hand in your notice and walk out. P*sses employers off, but quite legal! (make sure of a good reference and/or a secure job offer before doing this).
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Options
    I think that one of the first things that you should do is work out your holiday entitlement and if you have already used what you are entitled to yet or not. When does your holiday year run from/til?

Also check your contract as to what it says about your notice period as to whether you are able to hand notice in while on holiday - I cant see why not unless it says otherwise!
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • kittykate_2
    kittykate_2 Posts: 1,834 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't taken any holidays whatsoever this holiday period and my entitlement is showing on my payslip so I presume I'll get paid for them. TBH, I just want out of there and will be willing to take home a lesser wage and use my savings until I get paid from my new job (yeah, I'm that fed up :().

Thanks for all your replies, I just gotta wait now and see when I can start my new job. I'm so excited :)

KKx
  • hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Options
    I guess that if you are certain you have the job you can always hand in your notice now and have the holiday pay for the entitlement you are due you can class the next week or two or however much entitlement you have left as your holiday.

Either that or speak to your current employer and see what their thoughts on the matter are.
    Weight Loss - 102lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport