🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

I Need a solicitor to take on CSA, help!

Options
Hi does anyone know of a solicitor that will act on my behalf and take on the csa? They have given me a summons to attend a hearing on 04/01/2011 which I only received a couple of days ago, so with the Christmas holidays included thats only just over a weeks notice! It is for 'supposedly' arrears, which isn't right and I think most people know now that this is a fraudulant csa scam. Read the info on deadbeat dads website! So I am asking, does anybody know of or heard of a solicitor who deals with this situation? My time is running out fast!
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• clearingout
    clearingout Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    do you or do you not owe arrears?
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    you have been given a month's notice which is enough. You can apply for an adjournement so you can seek advice, but you would be better off employing NACSA rather than a solicitor.
  • manorpaul
    Options
    do you or do you not owe arrears?
    Well it says I owe £2605 but I contest that because all the letters I have received from the CSA in the past says I should pay £0.00 per week. That said though some letters in the past have said I owe £5.00 per week or £6.00 per week then I would get another letter months later saying I should pay £0.00 per week???? This has been going on for almost ten years. I have NO idea what I am supposed to do? I do know though that the CSA have bombarded fathers recently left, right and centre with completely made up figures that they owe, when it goes to court the CSA cannot prove where the figure has come from hence the reason for a solicitor.
    Does ANYBODY know of one?
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    manorpaul wrote: »
    Well it says I owe £2605 but I contest that because all the letters I have received from the CSA in the past says I should pay £0.00 per week. That said though some letters in the past have said I owe £5.00 per week or £6.00 per week then I would get another letter months later saying I should pay £0.00 per week???? This has been going on for almost ten years. I have NO idea what I am supposed to do? I do know though that the CSA have bombarded fathers recently left, right and centre with completely made up figures that they owe, when it goes to court the CSA cannot prove where the figure has come from hence the reason for a solicitor.
    Does ANYBODY know of one?

As another poster has already suggested , contact NACSA, they are the national arbitrators for csa cases.
  • manorpaul
    Options
    kelloggs36 wrote: »
    you have been given a month's notice which is enough. You can apply for an adjournement so you can seek advice, but you would be better off employing NACSA rather than a solicitor.
    From receiving the letter to the court date is 3 WEEKS! Not a month! 11 working days over the Christmas period to try and find a solicitor who is available on the first day back after Christmas, who will then have to study all my files and correspondance from myself and the CSA which I don't have to hand. If I were to write to the CSA and request them all...... 1 There isn't enough time now to do that and........ 2 as per usual they would deny all knowledge of ever receiving such a letter, recorded delivery or not. So no, I don't think the time scale is fair personally.
  • angelsmomma
    angelsmomma Posts: 1,192 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    have you paid any child support in the last 10 years?
    Life is not the way it’s supposed to be. It’s the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.
  • manorpaul
    Options
    kelloggs36 wrote: »
    Can I apply for an adjournment now then get NACSA involved straight away or employ NACSA straight away and would they apply for adjournment on my behalf?
    Thanks for your advice.
  • Kimitatsu
    Kimitatsu Posts: 3,894 Forumite
    Options
    Why do you not have the letters? You can represent yourself at the hearing and can ask for an adjournment.

However if you owe arrears then you will still be liable to pay them. I would question why it has taken you 10 years to try to get to the bottom of this though.
    Free/impartial debt advice: Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) | National Debtline | Find your local CAB
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    manorpaul wrote: »
    From receiving the letter to the court date is 3 WEEKS! Not a month! 11 working days over the Christmas period to try and find a solicitor who is available on the first day back after Christmas, who will then have to study all my files and correspondance from myself and the CSA which I don't have to hand. If I were to write to the CSA and request them all...... 1 There isn't enough time now to do that and........ 2 as per usual they would deny all knowledge of ever receiving such a letter, recorded delivery or not. So no, I don't think the time scale is fair personally.

Other threads will show you that if the CSA are not going to respond to MPs then chances are they wont respond to a solicitor, and when it does go to court, probably get pulled at the 11th hour, and you are still lumbered with a bill towards the legal fees,
    saying that you can stay stubborn and seek a solicitor as you wish :o
  • manorpaul
    Options
    have you paid any child support in the last 10 years?
    To be honest with you and I don't really know how much I should say on here but I'll be honest........... no, no I haven't. As I said in my earlier posts the CSA say I should pay £5.00 or £6.00 per week so then I wait to get more mail from them about setting up some sort of payment plan via direct debit or whatever they do, I never hear back from them for ages then I will get a letter from them again saying I should pay £0.00 per week???? So what the hell am I meant to do?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport