Tax as a part time student and full time worker question...

Options
Hi,

I wondered if anyone can help.

I am resitting a 2 modules that I failed in my final year at university and I am also now working full time.

I just wondered if I had to pay tax as a 'normal person' or do I get some sort of leeway (sp?) with still studying?

If anyone can help that would be awesome.

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    cuzzy wrote: »
    Hi,

I wondered if anyone can help.

I am resitting a 2 modules that I failed in my final year at university and I am also now working full time.

I just wondered if I had to pay tax as a 'normal person' or do I get some sort of leeway (sp?) with still studying?

If anyone can help that would be awesome.

Even full time students pay tax if they earn over the Personal Tax Allowance.
  • The_One_Who
    The_One_Who Posts: 2,418 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, students do pay tax if they earn enough. I believe you can claim back money if you are only working through the holidays and so don't earn enough through the year, but that doesn't apply in this case.
  • MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    Options
    The only difference being a student makes is that if you are only working during the holidays and will not earn more than your personal allowance you can fill out a p38 form so that your personal allowance is spread over the months you're working rather than over the whole 12 months of the year.

This is irrelevant to you as you're working all year round.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/students/work_hols_while_student_8_1.htm
  • ninja182
    ninja182 Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    Also you need to have "Full Time Student" status which requires you to have lectures to a minimum of 20 hours a week. Now i'm in the same boat (2 modules to resit) and i got a certificate from the uni saying i'm on a full time course, which was lucky to say the least. It's saved me £770 council tax :) My point is the government will have people like you and me believe we're not students at all, so you could fine that no student allowances apply
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure