EDF energy have ripped me off! HELP

Options
Hello i was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on where i stand?

I have been a customer with EDF energy since April 2009 and i am on economy 7 having 2 readings day and night due to storage heaters.

I was at first paying £90 a month which i thought was reasonable and i had people into read my meter on a regular basis. Every few months a my bill would come in and the bill dropped from £70 and then to £60 on the readings the meter people had given. Last month (Nov) i had a letter in from EDF asking for a customer reading as the readings they had had off the meter people had only been an 'estimated' reading!!!!

I gave them my reading and they then told me i owed them over £900!!!! Due to the night and day readings being mixed up i was horified and the fact my meter serial number didnt match up with the one they had on their system either.

A woman i was talking to promised to get to the bottom of the situation and i left it to her. She told me a bill would be sent out in time after she had contacted all the necessary departments.

Yesterday while looking on my online banking account i was mortified to see that just over £900 had tried to be taken out of my account without my knowledge and low and behold EDF had tried to take it!!!

I called them to ask what was going on only to be told that a bill dated 24th November had been sent out to explain what was going on and that the money was being collected in full. I explained i had never had the letter and if i had i would of called to halt the payment and try and pay in installments.

EDF said they are within their rights to take the money out in full if any outstanding bill is over £150! Can anyone advise me as they say if the bill is not paid off in 12 months then they can again try and take the whole sum out but i do not have that sort of money!

Comments

• charliepink_2
    Options
    I have conviently had my elec bill through this morning dated 24th November. I have called EDF to ask what is going on and i have been told i would never have got the letter as my account had been put on hold i only got it as i called on 14th Dec to ask about the DD they had tried to take out.

I have had an apology and EDF have offered to pay my bank charges plus knock £100 off my account but i still dont see how i should have to pay this bill as i stated it was not my fault i have paid my DD on time every month and had regular meter readings but they still say i owe this money!
  • davidgmmafan
    Options
    It may be in thier T & C's but, given that it is as much thier fault as yours, they should've looked to spread the balance IMO. Also did they advise you this amount would be taken? The bill alone won't count unless it says we will take X amount on I think they've breached the DD guarantee.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure