Which company offers line rental at less than £11.00/month ?

Zero
Zero Posts: 117 Forumite
I think I recall reading an article on MSE about a company which offered line rental at less than BTs £11.00/month line rental and that it could be used in conjunction with a BT line.

So it was possible to simply your BT line rental from BT to the other company.

Does anyone know which company this is, as I can't seem to be able to locate the article on the website.

Thanks!
something missing

Comments

• mobilegossip
    mobilegossip Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    Their are a few suppliers that offer cheaper line rental then BT . Eg Post Office Homephone. However its not considered a good idea to move your line rental from BT.

Because BT are the only supplier that allow you to CPS your calls,to people like Primus Saver 2.

BT are the only supplier that have to allow you access to cheap call suppliers like 1899/18185.Other suppliers say in there T&C they will block them,and do so.

BT dont charge for caller display. Other suppliers do usually making your bill exceed £11 a month.

Then theres the chance your get an unexpected repair bill.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=281953
  • Zero
    Thank you

I was thinking of switching our phone service to Talk Talk International option which also includes their broadband.

I then have the option of also switching the line rental over to Talk Talk from BT and this will cost exactly the same. Which is £11.00/month

So because of the article you linked to, do you think it is best to only switch to the Talk Talk international service, whilst retaining my line rental with BT.

I noticed that article you linked to referred to OneTel, so I'm wondering if Talk Talk would have a similar or a completely different policy?
    something missing
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    BT will reduce the rental by 25p/month from next year if you have on-line billing.

This will make the difference 75-80 pence per month between BT and the others - just not worth it to give up on all the advantages mobilegossip mentions.
  • mobilegossip
    Zero wrote:
    Thank you

I was thinking of switching our phone service to Talk Talk International option which also includes their broadband.

I then have the option of also switching the line rental over to Talk Talk from BT and this will cost exactly the same. Which is £11.00/month

So because of the article you linked to, do you think it is best to only switch to the Talk Talk international service, whilst retaining my line rental with BT.

I noticed that article you linked to referred to OneTel, so I'm wondering if Talk Talk would have a similar or a completely different policy?

I assume you have read the various threads about the Talk Talk Not so Free? B/B debacle ,is it the broadband you are interested in,or the Free Intl Calls.

If its the Intl Calls, Euphony do virtually the same destinations including UK for an average of £4.33p a month over 18 months.(Its a 18 month contract) Using them you can still keep your line rental with BT,can still qualify for free caller display,and still use 18185 for cheaper NGN and Mobile calls.

Talk Talk own Onetel.;)
  • Zero
    Thanks, yes I've read some of the threads.

It's both the international calls and the broadband I'm interested in. As I'd be mostly phoning standard land-line telephone numbers in Ireland, the Talk Talk service "Talk 3 International" appears to provide phone calls free of charge (up to 70 mins) at a total cost of £9.99/month which also includes free broadband.

Which seems to be a good package, provided I have no problems with it of course!

So if I opt for this package maybe I'd be best just retaining the £11.00/month line rental charge with BT...? Especially if BT will be reducing their line rental as mentioned by Quentin.
    something missing
  • mobilegossip
    But you have to move your line rental to Talk Talk to get the FREE ? broadband offer,on either the Talk 3 or Talk 3 intl packages.You have no choice.Its an 18 month contract also.

So you would be paying them £19.99 a month for the Talk 3 Intl offer . + Cost of caller display £1.50p a month which they automatically give you,and if you like paper billing i believe thats another £1 a month now.So you could end up paying £22.49p a month.

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/servlet/gben-server-PageServer?article=MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.TESTHUB
  • Zero
    Thanks, I hadn't realised that.

The loss of caller display wouldn't really bother me, and if it's £1/month for paper billing, then I suppose their online billing option would be ok.

The Talk Talk International 3 option (excluding line rental) would cost a total of £9.99x12 = £119.88 including broadband

If the Euphony do virtually the same destinations including UK for an average of £4.33p a month then this would be £4.33x12 = £51.96

The difference between the two being £67.92 or £5.66/month

Though I don't think any companies offer broadband at this price...or maybe I'm wrong?

If no companies offer broadband at up to £67.92/annually or £5.66/month then I suppose the Talk Talk International 3 option is best for me.
    something missing
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Read up on others experience of the broadband deal before you sign up.

You get what you pay for seems to ring true in this case.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure