Debit On Card Problem

Options
Just returned from Menorca (hi Pearl & Michael hope you retuned home OK).
Intended to use my Nationwide credit card in the local village restaurant.
Waiter takes card and returns "sorry we are having problems with our terminal". I pay cash. Checked account last night............amount for meal debited twice!!! No sig or pin used.
Contacted Nationwide last night..........call back Monday to their helpline.
They added last night that they usually ask you to return to the creditor and ask for a refund!!!
:eek:

Comments

• adam2484
    adam2484 Posts: 436 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    where abouts are you now???
  • James
    James Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As you never PINned or Signed then dispute the transaction full stop. Be firm but polite when you speak with NW. Goodluck.

I should have added because you dispute the transaction it's up to your card issuer to prove differently. By producing a statement saying verified by PIN or the restaurant's copy of the transaction slip with your signature (which you could obviously challenge anyway).

Last but not least tell your card issuer you are repoting this to the police.
  • SHEPS_2
    Options
    adam2484 wrote:
    where abouts are you now???
    Bromley!!!!!!
  • Bisoy
    Bisoy Posts: 873 Forumite
    Options
    SHEPS wrote:
    Just returned from Menorca (hi Pearl & Michael hope you retuned home OK).
    Intended to use my Nationwide credit card in the local village restaurant.
    Waiter takes card and returns "sorry we are having problems with our terminal". I pay cash. Checked account last night............amount for meal debited twice!!! No sig or pin used.
    Contacted Nationwide last night..........call back Monday to their helpline.
    They added last night that they usually ask you to return to the creditor and ask for a refund!!!
    :eek:

Sorry but can't understand why you've been debited twice if you haven't signed or used your pin? But you have a very strong case here.
  • MPH80
    MPH80 Posts: 973 Forumite
    Options
    Well - it sounds similar to what happened to me in Madrid.

I was in a supermarket and handed over my Nationwide card ... it refused to go through the till - each time producing a message in spanish I couldn't understand - but which the lady told me meant it wasn't working.

I tried again with my egg card - same message.

When I got back - I found two 'debits' on my Nationwide card online statement, but both were accompanied by a sale reversal too. So looks like whatever message she was getting wasn't 'not working' - but maybe 'call for auth' or something. Interestingly - nothing at all showed up on the Egg card.

But yes - no sig or pin ... no sale ... so you should have a very strong case.

M.
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can't go through without a pin, but obviously can without a signature. Wouldn't think it's anything Nationwide haven't seen before. Going back to the retailer is the easy way for the card issuer to get it settled, they may realise this is not a goer when you tell them you're now in a different country...
  • BWZN93
    BWZN93 Posts: 2,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Easiest way to get this sorted is to go to a local branch and ask for a Unauthorised Visa Debit form, fill it in right away and and it will be sent off to the special investigations dept. They are usually very good and refund very quickly.

If you need any more info, pls pm me (im a NW employee).

Jo x
    #KiamaHouse
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family