digital electricity meter

Options
redmalc
redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
hi ,Please advise what normal1 rate is, day or night units and is it an industry standard

Comments

• KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The empirical practical check of switching on the kettle and the toaster and observing what happens on your meter takes precedence over any standard.
  • KimYeovil
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hmm, further reflection, could you clarify what it is you are asking? I thought you are asking 'one reading is labelled 1, the other reading is labelled 2. which is usually the day and which is usually the night'. Or are you asking for an explanation of two tier day rates and the night rate.

Does your meter not clearly indicate that one is 'low' or 'night' and the other 'normal' or 'day'?

Or are you asking on a request for a reading on a card or a web site that they have boxes for meters 1, 2 and 3 - which is which?
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    The empirical practical check of switching on the kettle and the toaster and observing what happens on your meter takes precedence over any standard.

with that test the meter will go faster whatever rate it is on.

OP are you on E7/E10, 2 rate or 3 rate meter?
  • redmalc
    Options
    Kim i think i may have a serious issue,The normal 1 reading is being charged on my bill as night units and i am positive that should be day units,check my earlier thread EON Representative required someone commented about the ratio of day and night units and i have checked the meter.I am very concerned about this who is responsible because i have never read the meter,i do not know how long this has been going on
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There's no standard.

As others have mentioned, it's quite easy to identify which rate you are currently on by use of a high drain appliance.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,333 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    with that test the meter will go faster whatever rate it is on.
    So if you do the test now, (or at some obvious 'day' time) then the read that moves is 'day' or normal.

Red - you didn't say if you use gas for heating. If the reads are the wrong way round, you'll probably be better off on a single rate than two rate - you could try haggling for the past bills, good luck.
  • redmalc
    Options
    I use gas for the heating,yes the charges are the wrong way around,for the first time i have been and looked at the meter and it is a push button one and it clearly states Normal and Low units so how they have managed to misread it i do not know,Please advise if you have any idea how far they can go back and charge me,it is not my fault and i would have never spotted this if i had not requested to change suppliers and someone advised the consumption was the wrong way around.
  • KimYeovil
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They can go back six years (five years in Scotland).

It is simple enough for a mistake to be made. Once a mistake is on the system the two meter reads will just be applied to whichever is the sensible figure. It is up to you to check your bills and see if they are correct. It is not 'not your fault'. Nor is it your fault. The fact that you have been misusing the E7 system has helped disguise the mistake - did you never wonder why your bills did not reflect all the off-peak useage (or lack of same)?
  • notbritishgas
    Options
    redmalc wrote: »
    I use gas for the heating,yes the charges are the wrong way around,for the first time i have been and looked at the meter and it is a push button one and it clearly states Normal and Low units so how they have managed to misread it i do not know,Please advise if you have any idea how far they can go back and charge me,it is not my fault and i would have never spotted this if i had not requested to change suppliers and someone advised the consumption was the wrong way around.
    Redmalc, I think your best course of action is to get EoN to switch you to a normal tariff instead of E7, you do not need E7 with your consumption split. I think EoN are one of the companies that will add the 2 readings together instead of changing the meter.
    Next persuade them to backdate this change of tariff to the time when the meter readings were transposed. They will then recalculate the bills, I think you will still owe them something but perhaps not as much as you are currently expecting.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Options
    Redmalc, I think your best course of action is to get EoN to switch you to a normal tariff instead of E7, you do not need E7 with your consumption split. I think EoN are one of the companies that will add the 2 readings together instead of changing the meter.
    Next persuade them to backdate this change of tariff to the time when the meter readings were transposed. They will then recalculate the bills, I think you will still owe them something but perhaps not as much as you are currently expecting.

Hi notbritishgas

Just to clarify; from Redmalc's earlier thread, I understand E.ON only supplies the gas and not the electric.

I can confirm, E.ON are able to add the day and night readings together and charge an Economy 7 meter on a single rate tariff. However, I can't speak for other suppliers and Redmalc's current electricity provider may or may not offer this option.

Hope this clears this up.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure