Ebico pricing

Options
Chinkle
Chinkle Posts: 680 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
I don't remember seeing any letters re prices rises for Ebico, are they entirely separate to Southern in this respect? If so, should we still expect them to announce their own rises in the next few weeks/months?

Trying to ascertain if its worth our switching from Ebico to another supplier at this time. Not so easy when we are in the middle of price-rising period.

Comments

• penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 December 2010 at 6:10PM
    Options
    Logically you should only consider moving to a supplier who has already/announced a price rise, as others will soon follow.
    Unless you are a very low user you will be paying over the odds atm.

Ebico benchmark their prices against SSE.

They posted this on the 29th Oct on their Friendface page

71098_112467313920_2958141_q.jpg

Ebico Ltd Our partner Scottish and Southern Energy has increased their gas price by 9.4%.
    At this point-in-time we have no plans to increase ours, but will let you know as-soon-as possible, if we do. Wholesale gas prices industry-wide have been rising over the past few months, but we are seeking to avoid passing these increased ...costs onto customers, if at all possible.

See more29 October at 11:01
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,233 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Ebico may well leave the price as it is because they never reduced it when most of the others, including SSE reduced their prices

Thus the price is where it should be already IMO
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Upwind
    Upwind Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    I had a similar response when I contacted Ebico to enquire if price rises were in the pipeline (pun intended). There were no plans to increase prices when I spoke to them.

I hope that they do not rise as I do like Ebico as a company. I think that their easy set-up and simple pricing are easy to understand and account for. Having previously been with NoPower who seemed to go out of their way to confuse their customers, Ebico's clarity is refreshing. I also like the fact that you don't have to sign up for a set amount of time to obtain discounts and are not tied in to a 'package' which would prevent me from moving quickly to an alternative company should their prices become uncompetitive.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Upwind wrote: »
    ... I also like the fact that you don't have to sign up for a set amount of time to obtain discounts

Yeah, they just decided not to give anyone any discounts at all! :cool:
    (unless you were a gas PPM customer, but that's a long story)

and are not tied in to a 'package' which would prevent me from moving quickly to an alternative company should their prices become uncompetitive.

Unless you are a very low user, they probably already are uncompetitive. ;)
    It's unlikely the other suppliers will be interested in competing for such low users as there's very little profit in them.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Upwind
    Upwind Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    Premier

If it's alright with you for me to have an opinion, I'll do so. What I have said is how I genuinely feel. I am indeed a low user and maybe that is why they suit me. I have always had good service from them and they are IMO (if OK to have one?) a good company.

I am glad that they are a small (not for profit) company and after previous experiences with NoPower, I am happy to stick where I am.
  • hippey
    hippey Posts: 849 Forumite
    Options
    And they don't charge extra for IGT, makes it worth it for me!
    These are my thoughts and no one else's, so like any public forum advice - check it out before entering into contracts or spending your hard earned cash!

I don't know everything, however I do try to point people in the right direction but at the end of the day you can only ever help yourself!
  • roobers_2
    roobers_2 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 14 December 2010 at 4:48PM
    Options
    Ebico just announced a price rice for gas of 9.2% (to 4.02p/kwh) from 10th January. Electricity prices to stay unchanged (which is just as well, as those are quite high already).
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,233 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    roobers wrote: »
    Ebico just announced a price rice for gas of 9.2% (to 4.02p/kwh) from 10th January. Electricity prices to stay unchanged (which is just as well, as those are quite high already).

Oh bu66er, I really like Ebico for reasons given by others, and I was not too fussed about a few quid extra per year for the simplicity [yes I can afford it, and am low user], but may now have to look around
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Premier

If it's alright with you for me to have an opinion, I'll do so. What I have said is how I genuinely feel. I am indeed a low user and maybe that is why they suit me. I have always had good service from them and they are IMO (if OK to have one?) a good company.

I am glad that they are a small (not for profit) company and after previous experiences with NoPower, I am happy to stick where I am.

You appear to misunderstand me. Regular readers of my posts on this board will know that I have been a long supporter of Ebico and that I too am of the opinion that they are a good company, and would fully endorse your opinion that their customer service is also good.

However, they are not necessarily the cheapest supplier unless you are a very low user. I would always recommend using a comparison site to see if the premium they are charging most warrants the extra cost.

Whilst they are a not for profit company, but have you seen the amount of surplus they generate each year? Some of this is donated to the Ebico Trust and perhaps other charities they support, but a sizeable amount is retained by the company.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It is a blow because I thought they were holding it off. Sometimes they don't follow lower prices.

I like the straight forward pricing (no tiers) and apart from winter it helps keep the bills down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure