'Mental health and Debt: are you willing to go public?' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Replies

• email keeps bouncing back to me :(
  • Norfolk_JimNorfolk_Jim Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be the perfect candidate since both I and the wife have mental health issues and have fallen into terrible debt since we got ill. The problem is that my wife already finds it dificult to get an interview for jobs let alone get a job once people are aware of her MH problems, and I work in an area that would definitely cause me problems and my employer if I was to go public like this. I hope you succeed in raising the issue Martin as it is a very real problem. Its hard enough to manage ones finances well without the problem that come with MH issues like OCD and Bi polar.
  • I would be happy to participate if only I could send the email!
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Cindy - Im going to get someone to check the email now.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • MSE_JennyMSE_Jenny MSE Staff
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    MSE Staff
    Hi Cindy,

The email address works for us. I have sent you a PM :)
  • I had no problem with the email address either
  • Hi all,

My husband is undiagnosed bpd,he has all the criteria of the disease. We have huge debts and his spendings do not seem to stop. I have no idea what to do, he has been asking for and obtaining credits/loans over and over again, i hate the banks and their irresponsibility, they never check anything he writes on the application forms. Now things have become very tough, his physical health is at stake (high levels of stress/fear/anxiety) and we are on the edge of losing everything.
    I have tried to convince him to look for help, seek treatment but he denies the existence of a problem.
  • I have emailed :)
    Had my amazing little girlie 08/12/2007 - 11 days late! 9lbs 3oz
    My second little girl entered the world 20/03/2010 - 11 days late! 8lbs 4oz
    Sea
    led pot challenge 4 - 332
    Make £11k in 2011 £0/£11000 - 0%
    And lots of other challenges!
  • I would love to help, but I'm just not sure I'm ready to go public yet. I have no problem talking about my depression, anxiety and phobias with people - I'm quite vocal about mental health issues and people getting help/support etc and use myself as an example, but I'm still facing up to my money problems myself, let alone tell people about them.

Whoever steps forward, I think you're incredibly brave and a bigger person than me - thank you and well done! :T
    Pay off as much as you can in 2011 challenge #116 £394.24/£6722.58
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Daeheryn wrote: »
    I would love to help, but I'm just not sure I'm ready to go public yet. I have no problem talking about my depression, anxiety and phobias with people - I'm quite vocal about mental health issues and people getting help/support etc and use myself as an example, but I'm still facing up to my money problems myself, let alone tell people about them.

Whoever steps forward, I think you're incredibly brave and a bigger person than me - thank you and well done! :T

In that case please don't volunteer. Your personal well being is more important. From what I gather we have a few now.

Though I should say facing up to money issues can be tough - if they are severe do make an appointment at an organisation like the Consumer Credit Counselling Service or National Debtline.

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides