George Best bank notes to be issued

gb1.jpg

The Ulster Bank is to issue the limited edition notes as a tribute to the footballing genius next month to mark the first anniversary of his death.

The celebration of one of Northern Ireland`s best-known sporting heroes will feature George Best in both his Northern Ireland and Manchester United strips.

Click here!

Comments

• Torby
    Torby Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    Noticed this headline earlier on in the press and I see they've quoted the same URL as yourself.

Seems strange though that the website thats going to be handling the issue or supply of a million or so of these fivers was only registered today to a registrant who lives in the Ballee housing estate off the Antrim Road in Ballymena....not exactly the address you would associate with an Ulster Bank website....wonder have the Bank slipped up and mentioned the URL before checking if a bank official had actually registered it?....oh dear....bit of a faux pas possibly....can see someone in Ballymena making a load of dosh supplying all these fivers to United and Bestie fans worldwide ....aaaah....entrepreneurial skill hasn't died... :)

aaaah it all becomes clear now....this site is registered to the same guy who has registered the url "Irish Premier League".....wonder how much you can charge for a fiver nowadays....lol
    I'm now a retired teacher... hooray ...:j

Those who can do, those who can't, come to me for lessons:cool:

• The Royal Bank £5 notes printed with Jack Nicklaus on went for big prices on Ebay for a while, I never even saw one :o
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It seems that these like the other N.Ireland bank notes are IOU notes in the banking system

As most of these notes will be held by fans the Ulster Bank will have cheap publicity without ever having to honour them for sterling.

What a coup for the bank!

or am I just being cynical?
  • Torby
    Torby Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    ballyblack wrote:
    It seems that these like the other N.Ireland bank notes are IOU notes in the banking system

As most of these notes will be held by fans the Ulster Bank will have cheap publicity without ever having to honour them for sterling.

probably no more cynical than the website owner who will be "reserving" these notes for fans....lol....like I say ....how much for a fiver....lol
    I'm now a retired teacher... hooray ...:j

Those who can do, those who can't, come to me for lessons:cool:

• ckerrd
    ckerrd Posts: 2,641 Forumite
    I got one of the Jack Nicklaus fivers in my change.
    Don't think they sell for that much anymore, haven't looked for a while. Just sits on my desk waiting for me to do something with it......
    We all evolve - get on with it
  • ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    ballyblack wrote:

I hate to be the one to point it out but ALL bank notes are nothing more than promisory or iou.
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    ckerrd wrote:
    I got one of the Jack Nicklaus fivers in my change.
    Don't think they sell for that much anymore, haven't looked for a while. Just sits on my desk waiting for me to do something with it......

I've got one sitting totally flat, brand new :)

Will stay where it is for a good few years.........now if I could only get my good friend Jack to sign it :rolleyes:
  • ckerrd
    ckerrd Posts: 2,641 Forumite
    How true Kilty - if only I had asked him to do it when I shook his hand at The Open. Mind you that was in 1978 and they hadn't been printed then......
    We all evolve - get on with it
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ballyblack wrote:

So it doesn't say on a english £5 note, 'i promise to pay the bearer...'
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes they are promisory notes.

But if people buy them and stash them away, then the bank benefits big style!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure