Savings Guarantee - am I covered?

Options
Hi All

This is probably a basic question, but I can't find a definate answer on this site/search engines.

I have a savings account, a cash ISA, and an investment ISA all with HBOS, with the total exceeding the £50k limit (totals about 80k).

Are the savings and ISAs treated all together under the savings guarantee, or are they separate ie. 50k for investment ISA and 50k for savings?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• bandana999
    bandana999 Posts: 91 Forumite
    edited 8 December 2010 at 9:19PM
    Options
    They are all lumped together, so ATM you are above the £50k limit - but don't worry too much, the UK FSCS protection limit will rise on 31 December 2010 from £50,000 to £85,000.

To coin a phrase:
    Did you read this?
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/safe-savings

What the cover for the "investment ISA" is is difficult to say without knowing exactly what it is.
    Maybe it's just me
  • desk1_2
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I did actually read that, but wasnt clear whether they were all lumped together as I didnt see it specifically say that (I did suspect that though). The bit on investments isn't that clear either - sounds like the broker (in this case HBOS) can go bust, but as long as the companies they've invested your money into are ok, then you keep the shares and there's no payout? Investment ISA is in their range of portfolios (generally 'medium/adventurous' in hbos speak).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure