🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Any financial advice

Options
I'm 29 and both my parents have died resulting in me being left 30k,
At the moment I have a mortgage and I am unemployed, as I was carer during my mums cancer.
I don't want to invest in my mortgage with my current partner as we took this on a 100% mortgage so if we ever split it would be a straight 50/50 split as I have been burnt before and lost 10k to a former ex on a previous home.:(
I am looking to get a good rate as I plan to buy a home of my own outright next year when my share of my mother's house is sold.
Could anyone advise what is best to do i.e, some in a ISA and savings or all in a savings account for 1 year?
I really don't want to mess this up as most people at my age wouldn't be able to afford to buy a house outright.
My Idea is to have a place I can call home that cannot be taken by anyone.
Sorry for the ramble MSER's.:)

Comments

• Cautious_Investor_3
    Options
    Hi

Sorry to hear about your parents.

Re the money, are you saying you want it back in one year's time so you can buy a house, along with the proceeds from your the sale of your mother's house?

If so then you really must go for a savings account rather than an investment which could fall in value before you need it.

If we have established that a deposit account (i.e. savings account) is the correct choice you should consider whether to go for a Cash ISA plus a one year fixed rate bond or just a one year fixed rate bond.

The rates on both are circa 3.10% at the moment, obviously if you are not a taxpayer then no tax would be deducted off either type of account, if you are a taxpayer then tax would not be deducted from the interest on the cash ISA but it would be on the fixed rate bond. I guess the taxpayer question depends on what the next year holds for you re employment.

If you are not a taxpayer and use a fixed rate bond then complete an R85 form so that interest is paid gross.

I hope that makes sense and is helpful!

The Cautious Investor
  • makingmummyproud
    Options
    Thank you Cautious Investor for your very helpful and useful advice, Yes I would like it back in one year's time so I can buy a house, along with the proceeds from the sale of my mother's house.
    I currently have a RBS bank account with a IAS account, Any Ideas who is the best at the moment? I'm not paying tax or claiming any benefits what so ever so I am unsure about the whole tax issue now and in the future when i gain employment.
    I hope this info helps?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family