The Debt Free Roll Of Honour

Comments

• Paid off the debt yesterday final settlement figure £7293.
    A.The date of your lightbulb moment pretty much the moment we got the loan in November 2018. We've always had bouncy credit card use but no loans but as soon as we took it out, I felt stressed by it.
    b. Debts at their highest should have been £7777.33 in total but interest knocked offby early repayment brought it down a bit.
    c. Debt-Free Date 5/2/19
    d. Your one perl of wisdom no wisdom, rather the realisation we make good money but we have only a loan and a little bit of savings to show for it. Came on here and thought we need to shift this. A combination of a big outstanding payment for work previously completed and using our savings shifted it.
    e. Links to the MSE guides that helped you
    f. Which forum threads helped you the pay all your debts off by xmas 2019 thread
    g. And if you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it, no.
    Thanks everyone who's diaries and challenges I lurked in and took inspiration from
    Big Dreams
    Debt 0/6960 Dec 19
  • whattodo1967
    whattodo1967 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 22 February 2019 at 10:34AM
    A. The date of your lightbulb moment May 2012

B. Debts at Highest 47k

C. Debt free Date Feb 2019

D. Pearl of Wisdom : Put MSE as one of your favourites. I didn't post a lot but I read the posts most days, which gave me encouragement to do a DMP, and really helped me along the way.
    Don't be afraid to talk to your creditors.

I cannot quite believe that we are debt free for the first time in our adult lives. I lost count of the amount of times we consolidated, and still got into more debt. I am very proud that we have not had any credit in the last 7 years since being on our DMP, and don't intend to either.
    Not saying it has been easy, at times but definitely the best thing we ever did, we now budget for everything and have an emergency fund. Thank you all at MSE
    LBM April 2012, started Dmp with Stepchange June 2012 £47k:eek: Proud to finally be dealing with our debts:)
    Nov 18 3 more payments to DFD
    Dec 18 2 more payments to DFD
    Jan 19 1 more payment to DFD
    Feb 19 Last Payment now debt free :)
  • Well done! It's such a fabulous feeling knowing you're free from the debt burden :j
  • At long last - I never thought I would be able to post here...

Light Bulb Moment: Around July 2008, when more payments were being declined than accepted and I realised the true horror...

Debts at their highest: @£29,000

Debt free date: 07/02/2019 :D

Pearl of wisdom: Budget, using a spreadsheet, or handwritten note and include everything. I use the CAP budget spreadsheet, but there are plenty of other helpful ones. And remember that not all months have just four weeks in them. Some have nearly five, variably, so allow for this. Don't use PayDay Lenders. And, most importantly, never be afraid to ask for help. You CAN get yourself into a better place. Get the help you need, from one of the sources recommended on this site, and don't be ashamed. Everyone makes mistakes. I CERTAINLY did. You can work towards resolving past mistakes. You can do it.

Links to the MSE guides that helped you: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance/
    the whole site, and the forums generally (trolls and similar c*ckwombles excepted)

THANK YOU - to those who set up and operate this site, and to all MSE members who gave advice, humour, support and wisdom, and who 'thanked' one of my posts.

Keep smiling. Even if you are at the beginning of your battle with debt, KEEP HOPE. You can do it.
    :)
  • Well done!!:T
  • Yay RuthnJasper that’s fab..
    Dobby finally got his sock then! ;)
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yay RuthnJasper that’s fab..
    Dobby finally got his sock then! ;)

Yesss! I'm either going to use it as a tea-cosy or wear it as a hat. Or possibly both... ;)
  • Huge congratulations RuthnJasper! It's fantastic to see you post on the Debt Free Roll of Honour after all these years. Well done!!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 February 2019 at 6:01PM
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Huge congratulations RuthnJasper! It's fantastic to see you post on the Debt Free Roll of Honour after all these years. Well done!!

Thank you Andrea. The forums (trolls/nutters aside) have been an incredible source of support, and I have recommended the guides and letter templates, etc. to others many times over the years.
    Helping others to help themselves is the best kind of help there is.
  • Thank you Andrea. The forums (trolls/nutters aside) have been an incredible source of support, and I have recommended the guides and letter templates, etc. to others many times over the years.
    Helping others to help themselves is the best kind of help there is.

I totally agree. You're a through and through MSEr :beer: I really am so, so chuffed for you.

I'm so proud of everyone on the Debt Free Wannabe board, everything they've achieved and will achieve :T:T
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing