The Debt Free Roll Of Honour

Options

Comments

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,879 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope I am not being presumptuous but you might be talking about me? Anyway you prompted me so I have done it now :)

Glad I stopped by as was wondering if you had done it :) shouldn't you get an MF badge too?...

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,395 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    edited 27 March 2018 at 8:15AM
    Options
    Whats the badge badger called again?

ETA MSE Badger.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Glad I stopped by as was wondering if you had done it :) shouldn't you get an MF badge too?...

Rosa xx
    Not sure I know the process for getting badges but I would love a debt free and a mortgage free badge please :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • beanielou
    Options
    Calling MSE Badger :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• milann
    milann Posts: 10,599 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 March 2018 at 4:03PM
    Options
    I've done it - I'm debt free......

Lightbulb moment - 2006 - I was in ICU seriously ill and was more worried about my debt than my illness....
    Debt at highest - I didn't total it as it was too scary for me - but well over £20,000
    Pearls of wisdom
    - don't set impossible targets that'll disappoint you if you can't meet them, endangering you to give up - keep moving step by step in your right direction
    - keep on the boards and support one another - but don't compare stories as we are all different
    - remember to make a life doing cheaper alternatives than before with the odd treat, not just debt clearing and accept life can get in the way sometimes - BUT DONT GIVE UP

My diary is Milanns life keeps getting in the way

My best moment was yesterday when I was in the same hospital waiting to go into theatre for another very minor op - I'd been debt free a few days and know I'm going on half pay as I've been off work a while. I can now accept and manage this although not ideal - but I won't be paying half my wage paying debts.....I thought back to 2006 and how worried about money I'd been - a different world and its good :T:T:T:T
    January spends - £587.58
  • beanielou
    Options
    milann wrote: »
    I've done it - I'm debt free......

Lightbulb moment - 2006 - I was in ICU seriously ill and was more worried about my debt than my illness....
    Debt at highest - I didn't total it as it was too scary for me - but well over £20,000
    Pearls of wisdom
    - don't set impossible targets that'll disappoint you if you can't meet them, endangering you to give up - keep moving step by step in your right direction
    - keep on the boards and support one another - but don't compare stories as we are all different
    - remember to make a life doing cheaper alternatives than before with the odd treat, not just debt clearing and accept life can get in the way sometimes - BUT DONT GIVE UP

My diary is Milanns life keeps getting in the way

My best moment was yesterday when I was in the same hospital waiting to go into theatre for another very minor op - I'd been debt free a few days and know I'm going on half pay as I've been off work a while. I can now accept and manage this although not ideal - but I won't be paying half my wage paying debts.....I thought back to 2006 and how worried about money I'd been - a different world and its good :T:T:T:T

:j:j:j:j:j:A

• Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Congratulations on becoming debt free everyone ,I've just startec on my DMP and I've read this thread from start to finish,it's sooooo inspiring,I can't wait until I can post here,well done to you all xx
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • pinkspideruk
    pinkspideruk Posts: 755 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 30 March 2018 at 11:18PM
    Options
    So last month I paid the last installment on my DMP and I am now debt free (I waited until the payment showed as clear on my balance with the last debtor before posting).

I am now looking forward to starting to save! I've decided to save 50% of what I was paying to the DMP each month which leaves me with a comfortable amount to live on plus after a few months a decent amount of savings :D

Lightbulb moment: November 2014 my birthday and receiving only mail about debts!
    At their highest I owed just over £13k on loans and credit cards
    Debt Free Date: 20th Feb 2018
    Pearl of wisdom: dont be afraid to tell people no - like when they say hey we are off on a stupidly expensive trip to a xmas market before i would be like yeah im coming and just pay for it on credit but now im like sorry guys cant afford it right now but happy to meet at a house or go for some xmas drinks with you
    Forum thats helped was the dmp ones
    I didnt have a debt diary
    Anything is possible if you believe

Jan 2015 - £13,000 Feb 2018 £0 DEBT FREE WOOHOO now to start saving
  • slm6002
    slm6002 Posts: 3,722 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have done it - I am now debt free.

Feels very good to say this after so long of chipping away at it, little by little.

Now going to tackle the mortgage :)
    Me, DD1 18, DS 16, DD2 13, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    MSE_Martin wrote: »

Please report

a. The date of your lightbulb moment
    b. Debts at their highest
    c. Debt-Free Date
    d. Your one pearl of wisdom.
    e. Links to the MSE guides that helped you
    f. Which forum threads helped you
    g. And if you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it

And huge congratulations :)

Martin

I know I am not the most prolific poster on the debt free wannabe boards but I have scoured them daily for probably two years taking on all the advice of the wonderful posters. Too many of you to mention but there are some exceptionally knowledgeable posters on here who are a massive source of information and guidance to all on this debt free journey. THANK YOU ALL!

So I have done it! The last payment went today and the balance is already showing as zero on the final account.

A) Can't pinpoint an exact date for my lightbulb moment but certainly wanting to rent with my new partner in 2015 made me a lot more aware that I was in a hole. Lightbulb fully lit when I received a CCJ by default in January 2016 and the court didn't didn't agree to my monthly offer and instructed me what I had to pay a month - From there I addressed all my debts and started making payments to avoid any more court action. Was so disappointed in myself.

B) Looking at my records my debts at their highest were £13,562 - this included a £3000 overdraft, £3884 on a credit card linked to my bank, £949 on a capital one credit card, £1641 on a bank loan and the rest made up of various catalogue debts.

C) Last payment paid 17th April 2018. All accounts now showing online as zero balance

D) I don't have one pearl of wisdom but to everyone on the journey just keep at it, don't ignore the situation, that makes things worse not better, if you need advice, ask - there is always someone here who will be able to advise! Have a budget and stick to it, don't leave yourself short , you still have to have a few treats along the way and as long as they are budgeted for don't feel bad about it.. also don't compare your journey to that of someone else.

E, F and G). I didn't have a diary but read bits of others along the way , the whole forum was helpful as even though I don't contribute often, I read posts a lot and have taken snippets of advice along the way.
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure