Rent for 18 year old brother

Options
This is a follow on from a previous thread on charging 21 year old son.

But how much should I charge for my bf's brother who is 18 and earning £800. I'm not his mother obviously, but will most likely cook for him and wash his clothes :eek:
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
(End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
(End 2022) - Target £116,213.81

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why would you cook for him and wash his clothes?!

The figure that seems to be what most people go by according to similar threads is one third of their income.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • puffinmuffin
    Options
    why not look around at the going rate for renting a room locally and then make it a bit less for family? I think a third is quite a lot for a room (depends on whether you want to include bills) I would say a quarter.
    we have love enough to light the streets.
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I guess I'd wash his clothes cos it's simpler and probably cheaper than him using the wm by himself. Dunno, just assumed I would, I guess.

And I might as well cook for him, I can't let him have chips every night while me and bf tuck into good healthy food.

I've known him since he was 10, maybe I just can't see him as a grownup.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • Addiscomber
    Addiscomber Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree that it is more economical to wash his stuff with yours, but he could iron it - there is virtually no extra expense there.

As for food, just as easy to cook with your food, but trade off by ensuring that he does some clearing away, washing up loading the dishwasher or whatever.

I am thinking of charging our DS a minimum of £50 per week when he finishes Uni in the summer. As far as I can tell that is the extra expense of food, fuel etc of him living here. I do not consider it right to expect him to contribute to the mortgage - that was our choice and it is our house.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't see why it is cheaper for you to wash his clothes, as long as he has enough clothes so that he doesn't need to run the washing machine half-full. And as long as he is trained not to run it half-full just because he wants to wear his lucky underpants every time he goes out ...

And the cooking: make sure that you teach him to cook (and shop for) good healthy food, and that he helps out with that. So that when he does leave, he'll be well-trained ...

OK, so you're not his mum, but if his mum's done a good job you need to build on it, and if she hasn't, you need to give him a helping hand! :rotfl:
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • skintas_2
    skintas_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    i reckon at least £40 a week as hes paying no bills gas/electric, tv licence, sky. ihad someone stay i charged someone £60 a week with washing and dinner,when you feed another adult, and they use ur washing machince, extra it all adds up. my visitor had his 2 kids stay here at weekends so not to bad as he was on £1,000 a week
    i will be debt free, i will
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Take away the cost of your mortgage since he would not contribute to that, then divide everything else into three- that's what I did when I stayed with my sister and her db when I first left home at 18.
    Except they were renting so I paid a third of the rent aswell.
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure