KimYeovil wrote: »
    <Scratches head, confused.>

I think they're referring to Museli, rather than porridge oats
    They have the internet on computers now?! - Homer Simpson

It's always better to be late in this life, than early in the next
  • barginunter
    barginunter Posts: 1,253 Forumite
    Options
    We love the Sainsbury's own with extra bran. We make it with soya milk (helps with the old hot flushes) and it's really creamy and delish.
    I never understand why people buy that microwave stuff which is just mush. Any porridge can be microwaved but it's much nicer made on the hob - you just end up with a sticky pan.
  • C-C_3
    C-C_3 Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I buy the cheapest and have never noticed any difference

30g oats, 15g raisins and about 150g milk - microwave for 2 mins - sorted!

Cinnamon is quite nice in it too
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm perfectly happy with Asda SP, good coarse texture which I like. I tried Quaker Oats and they were much too smooth and gloopy. Yuk!
  • 7roland8
    7roland8 Posts: 3,601 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I've always loved MORNFLAKES - used to buy from the health food shop but can now get from Tesco - find they make lovely smooth porridge.

As described before -half mug oats to 1 mug milk - bring to boil - boil for 1min and then cover and leave to satnd for 5 mins - or monger - add more milk to thin down if required.
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
  • ghanagirl
    ghanagirl Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    me too i only buy the cheapest now, besides the time i add honey and raisins ummm porridge.

My local £1 shop has the 1kg Quaker Oats at the mo.
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I like Tesco's organic ones, they are still cheap enough to do a lot of breakfasts, but they are nice and chunky, iyswim.

Not had them for ages - you've just put me in the mood of some - with maple syrup for wee bit of sweetness, nicer than ordinary sugar.;)
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • santer_2
    santer_2 Posts: 4,406 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I find Supermarket Own Brand Guide useful for checking products, you can set it to look for certain scores and above

http://www.supermarketownbrandguide.co.uk/search.php?table=all
  • aloise
    aloise Posts: 608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Quaker and scotts defiantly better,but tescos are good as well. Don't like the cheaper ones as there are a lot of black bits in them and it puts me off. And their not mega bucks so you might as well enjoy the best
  • fruitcake_2
    Options
    Oh I love organic oats, they seem to be on the larger side, but just chop them a lttle with the hand held and they're perfect. Nice with rice milk too. Oh am going to get some now! What are you like?
    Am imagining creamy hot oats cooked with a a dash of nutmeg, pinch of salt and maple syrup.....roll on mornings! :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure