Cheap Porridge Oats vs Premium Brands

Options

Comments

• SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have Asda smartprice, but i don't make porridge for breakfast, i have Weetabix, then i throw a handful of smartprice bran flakes; oats; mixed fruit and Morrisons wheatbran all in the bowl together.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quenastoise viewpost.gif
    I like porridge too, especially with fruit. For me it's not only about consistency but also about the sugar content. Some brands can have a whopping 50 % sugar content, especially the flavoured types :eek:
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    <Scratches head, confused.>

I think they're getting porridge oats confused with instant oat cereals.
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    (Like Atticgirl I can only make an edible porridge with an oatmeal. Rolled oats are strictly for the bakery cupboard.)
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    I think they're getting porridge oats confused with instant oat cereals.

And is there anything more revolting than them?
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The OH likes the porridge smooth. Puts normal oats in a blender for a few seconds and then cooks them in the microwave.

(My job is to blend a bag full when she buys it)
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    I buy Asda smart price, and tesco value, and use both for breakfast. Can't say I've ever noticed any difference. Porridge is porridge isn't it? :)
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• EC12345
    EC12345 Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whichever supermarket I go to I always buy the cheapest - have tried the expensive packs but like a lot of people cannot tell the difference ...
    Mortgage Free
    Save £5,000 in 2020[CENTER
    :j
  • Long_tall_sally
    Options
    I always used to buy Scotts porridge oats as that is what I always had as a child but now buy Co Ops own & honestly cannot taste any difference although for some weird reason the Co Op seem to needa minute longer in the microwave to cook than the Scotts used to.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • allybee101
    Options
    The most expensive brands (e.g Scotts, Quakers etc) are larger oats. Invaraibly the value packets are much smaller pieces. I always buy the value stuff now.
    I find that there's no difference in taste, and if you cook it fairly slowly then the oats seem to absorb the liquid better and fluff up anyway. I always put in extra liquid too; if you overcook any oats they will go gluey.
    "Does it spark joy?" - Marie Kondo

"Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." Napoleon Hill
  • 123sonny123
    123sonny123 Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 December 2010 at 4:29PM
    Options
    Great post. I was thinking about this recently. I'm talking abour regular, boring oats - not the instand kind.

Tesco are doing Jordan's Organic Traditional Porridge Oats on a BOGOF. And, since I love Jordan's 4 nut combo cereal, I thought I'd try their porridge.

2 x 750g packs for the price of 1 (£2.25)

Fill half a regular mug with oats. Another regular mug filled to the top with half water and half milk (or all milk if you want a treat).

Pour contents of both mugs into a pan and let the oaks soak for 10 mins. Add tiny bit of salt and bring to the boil. Then simmer for 4-5 mins whilst stirring (more stirring = more creamy taste).

Pour into bowl and add a splash of cold milk if you like. Top with whatever toppings you like.

Deeeeeeeeelicious!

I'e noticed the Jordan's oats are bigger and fuller. As someone already said, alot of the premium brands are like this.

I haven't had scotts porride oats in a while, but I do think there is a difference in taste. The Jordans taste creamier.

In sayin that, I will be trying several other brands to see if I can produce the same results with cheaper oats.
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport