PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Tesco misprice policy

Options

Comments

• bazzaang
    bazzaang Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi thought i would bump this by just letting you guys and gals know that i got 36 free cans of caffeine free diet coke yesterday due to them being wrongly priced. They also have 24 packs of normal coke wrongly priced, have been for about six weeks but we don't usually drink it so have not got any free yet, may just have to soon though i have left it long enough for them to notice.
    Only when the last tree has died,the last river has been poisoned,and the last fish has been caught,
    will we realise that we cannot eat money.
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not exactly a mis-price issue, but when I received my delivery today the driver had given me someone else's chilled/frozen bags instead of mine and when I called CS they told me to keep it and also refunded the cost of my missing items :D

I ended up with around £30 of extra shopping free, plus a full refund on several BOGOF items, so I ended up quids in :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Miroslav
    Miroslav Posts: 6,193 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When they reduce BOGOF's, what used to happen was an item at 2.49 BOGOF, reduced to £1.25 would see you buy 2 for 2.50 and have them -£2.49 at the bottom - 2 for a penny!

They have half sorted that in my local store, this week bought 4 £1.25 Chicken Gujons but got 2.50 knocked off!

Half sorted, but was delighted to have still got 4 packs for 2.50 when 2.49 each usually!
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    When they reduce BOGOF's, what used to happen was an item at 2.49 BOGOF, reduced to £1.25 would see you buy 2 for 2.50 and have them -£2.49 at the bottom - 2 for a penny!

Yes this was gooood and it wasn't just Tesco, but most of the other supermarkets too. The way it worked was that at the checkout the BOGOF was flagged up by recognising 2 identical barcodes, then it would literally just subtract the cost of one item. So if you had two items on BOGOF that originally cost £3, and you bought them for 10p five minutes before closing time, you could actually make a profit of £2.80. Some supermarkets haven't even sorted this one out yet!

I've never actually had the nerve to have my shopping put through at a profit - I've generally made up the difference in extra groceries up to the value of the BOGOF and in effect got them free.
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • Miroslav
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes this was gooood and it wasn't just Tesco, but most of the other supermarkets too. The way it worked was that at the checkout the BOGOF was flagged up by recognising 2 identical barcodes, then it would literally just subtract the cost of one item. So if you had two items on BOGOF that originally cost £3, and you bought them for 10p five minutes before closing time, you could actually make a profit of £2.80. Some supermarkets haven't even sorted this one out yet!

I've never actually had the nerve to have my shopping put through at a profit - I've generally made up the difference in extra groceries up to the value of the BOGOF and in effect got them free.

Yeah, I've not gone in and just got these or they'd wonder what was going on - 2 bags of chicken at 2.50 coming up as 1p :D So i do it with my main shop :D
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Another advantage of this loophole is that if there's only one of the BOGOF items in the "reduced" fridge...

...you can go and pick up a full price one and it comes free.

In my last shared house we didn't have a freezer, so it was nice to pick up two for the (reduced) price of one, where you could use the reduced one on the day you bought it but the second would keep in the fridge for a week!
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • Miroslav
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Another advantage of this loophole is that if there's only one of the BOGOF items in the "reduced" fridge...

...you can go and pick up a full price one and it comes free.

In my last shared house we didn't have a freezer, so it was nice to pick up two for the (reduced) price of one, where you could use the reduced one on the day you bought it but the second would keep in the fridge for a week!

I'll give it a go, thanks :)
  • HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options

once at sainsbury's we bought a lot of reduced stuff. we didn't realise but most of them were on bogof offers and they actually sent us back into the store to get another £3+ worth of groceries so they could get us up to 1p to pay, they said they weren't allowed to give us money back :rotfl: i just thought it was brilliant that they actually told us to go get more shopping rather than trying to charge us the reduction prices and skipping the bogof's :T
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I should be so lucky, I'm having a hard time finding any bargains at the moment, when I do get to the reduced cabinets theres loads of other people in front of me. Was pleased with my potatoes yesterday, will see me through the next month. What time of day is best for food bargains in Tesco, or are they all different? I think I'm going in too late on a Saturday/Sunday.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    it depends on the store but you'll normally find that 2 hours before closing is the best time. if it's a 24 hours store then go around 9:45-10:00pm as they have to stop selling the reduced items for that day at midnight

i always just ask some teenage kid where the reduced items are and if he knows the best time to come, they aren't normally jobsworths so they will tell you any thing if you smile and bat your eyelashes at them ;)

best clearance we ever had was at the 24 hour tesco by raig mor hospital in inverness... those were the days!

a few things to note: if you live within walking distance of any supermarkets and pass by during the day check out what's reduced. if they have loads reduced come back that evening within 2 hours of closing and you'll get mega bargains as they reduce them to 10-50p each! you probably wont get many bargains on fridays or saturdays because that's when most people shop and they will pay more for reduced items as they want a quick weekend meal. however if you do notice they have loads on offer during the day it's then worth it to come back most of the time.

another thing to remember is if the store will be closing for a day then you should definately look for reduced items the night before they close. christmas and new years are the most obvious days and you would probably want to come late afternoon as they start marking items down earlier in those situations.
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure