Hardwearing school shoes?

Options
13»

Comments

• sazziecee
    sazziecee Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your tips, I will take a look in Clarks and also consider some DM boots for him (although he hates laces, thats another problem we have.. he is capable of tying them, but he just wont do it..)

Interesting that it *could* be related to his autism, but it is ONLY his school shoes he has ever done it to, so would it not be ALL shoes if it was a compulsion?

Got worse things to think about at the moment today though, he has been excluded for the afternoon for punching someone.... aaaaagh
  • HRV
    HRV Posts: 290 Forumite
    Options
    As a teacher I see alot of scuffed shoes- the pairs I have noticed that seem to last, polish up well and dont scuff too much are little timerland black boots- expensive im sure- but if they last????

Myself Im not overly keen on the look of them but I have many very boistrous boys (reception children) in my class and these do reallly last. They have quite a chunky sole and I think a sort of rubbery edge.
    Hope that helps- boys will be boys!!!
  • sazziecee
    sazziecee Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    Well as the Clarks sale started today I have ordered him 2 pairs to be delivered to store to try, both have a "bumper strip" but one has a more substantial one than the other, except these ones are nubuck compared to the others being full "normal" leather. So I will see which ones seem the better value pair.

I wanted to get them in store, but my local store had NO sale childrens shoes in, only adults which I thought was a bit ridiculous but oh well!

I got him measured too and he is a 13.5 G, so it's probably best I get them from Clarks as he obviuously has wide feet. I will see how he gets on with these and then look into seeing if he is indeed flat footed or anything.

I have told him they are part of his Xmas present in the hope that if he IS doing it deliberately, that he is put off damaging them!

Thanks for all tips :)
    I would have got DM's if it weren't for the laces issue!

One pair comes with a toy in the heel, if I go for those I know his younger brother will be jealous, last time one got new shoes before the other, the younger one scraped his shoes on purpose to get new ones... aaaaaagh
  • mamazaac
    Options
    My eldest son is so hard on shoes - I always used to buy him Clarks and he was through the soles by the end of the first term, even less sometimes. Then I discovered Rhino shoes - they are fantastic! At last, shoes that lasted him until he grew out of them. Sold at Startrite in sizes 2 -9, I can thoroughly recommend them.:)
  • tiamai_d
    tiamai_d Posts: 11,987 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Another vote for clarks, or brantanno which is our only cheaper outlet. Hush puppies are good too.

Some styles are better than others and it is a case of finding one that works and sticking to it.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Raksha wrote: »
    What size is he? My boys have big feet, so at that age were comfortable in Dr Martins

I got DMs one year for school. They lasted me for just under 2 years. Whereas US Brass lasted until 3 weeks before the end of the school year.

You do get what you pay for, imo. I used to get bought cheap school shoes and was lucky if they lasted me a year. My DMs (which I also wore out of school) lasted me for about 2 years.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family