We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

PGCE or similer and GCSE science?

Hello,
I hope somebody can help me :-)
I am in yr 3 of my social work degree and have been thinking more and more about working with challenging children. My current placement is in a inclusion unit working with key stage one and 2 children with challenging behaviour. I am also working in a failing school, with children with behaviour issues providing out reach support.

When I graduate ( fingers crossed) I will have a social work degree, before this I did an access course in social science and I have level 2 and 3 key skills in English and maths But I do not have GCSE science. There seems to be so many different ways into teaching but I am a little confused and all seem to need science.

I am interested in training via a school based route if possible and I am in West Sussex.

Any advice would be fab thank you.
Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!

Comments

  • MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    edited 1 December 2010 at 8:18PM
    Have you had a look at the TeachFirst programme?
    Why does Teach First exist?
    Only 10% of all teachers would consider teaching in a school in challenging circumstances. Every Teach First teacher is placed in schools in challenging circumstances.
    Of these, over 90% stay for a minimum of two years, over 50% stay longer and 67% of those placed since 2003 remain actively engaged with addressing educational disadvantage through Teach First's ambassador community.
  • mandragora_2
    mandragora_2 Posts: 2,611 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Ask here:

    http://www.tes.co.uk/forums.aspx?navcode=14

    There's a 'Thinking about teaching' forum.
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,920 Forumite
    10,000 Posts
    Before considering teaching, you might want to work on your spelling. ;)
    Gone ... or have I?
  • mummytofour
    mummytofour Posts: 2,636 Forumite
    MrsManda wrote: »
    Have you had a look at the TeachFirst programme?


    I really really like this idea and thanks to the other poster on this thread I read an article that mentioned there is a plan to increase the available schools for teach first training,which could prove interesting, currently my area is not covered.
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
  • mummytofour
    mummytofour Posts: 2,636 Forumite
    It also looks like some Unis do a science equivalence test to enable access to the PGCE :-)
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    You only need a GCSE in Science for Primary courses but not all PGCE providers will accept Key Skills as an alternative to English and Maths GCSE.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.