How much do babies cost??

Options
Hello All,

Being an obsessive moneysaver I am trying to do some (very) advanced budgeting but I have hit a wall. I am trying to estimate if we will have any money left over if we have a baby and I take six months maternity leave but I am not sure how accurate my budget is as I have no idea how much babies cost. Not including Nappies (as I plan on getting the bambino mio birth to potty pack so they should be covered) how much would you say you spend per month on your babies (particularly in the first 6-12 months) and on what sort of things? I'm sure there will be some everyday baby expenses that I am forgetting.

I also need to consider how much the essential buys before they are born cost.

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Thanks

Taliwillow:confused:
Current Debt - [strike]£38000[/strike] [strike]£32000[/strike] [strike]£28500[/strike] [strike]£22000[/strike] [strike]£16000[/strike] [strike]£10000[/strike] [STRIKE]£1500[/STRIKE] £14000:eek:

Comments

• carlachloe
    Options
    Hi, I got a £500 grant from the inland revenue I think it was when my little ones were born (you will get information on this in your baby pack it can be claimed 3 months before the due date and up to 3 months after your baby is born) This will cover your car seat, cot, buggy etc. I breast fed so was nothing for food until they turned 4 months and even then it didnt cost much to feed them. Primark do very good quality, cheap clothes but you will find you get a lot in presents. Honestly you will find a way to afford a baby. I dont think I know anybody who thought right, now I can afford a baby it just happens.
  • jillie1974
    jillie1974 Posts: 6,997 Forumite
    Options
    i though i was the only one who worried. there just doesnt seem to be enough info any where on what you are entitled to etc but i have just with the use of this website and a little bit of help from my friend who's had a baby work some of it out.
    evryone always talks about the pain ?*!aagh!! etc but not how much they cost!! but my MIL says 'dont worry about the cost you will manage'... which is great but i dont want to just manage!
    'Children are not things to be moulded, but are people to be unfolded'
  • carlachloe
    Options
    I thought when I fell pregnant at 20 that I would never manage to afford a baby. I now have two kids that never go without, we dont get any help financially from parents etc and we manage just fine.
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It depends on how much you want to give them. You can dress them in high quality new clothes or you can shop around at charity shops, boot sales and ebay and accept hand me downs. As for feeding puree up the meals you eat to give to the baby. It's when they get to their teens they start getting expensive :eek:
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm afraid this is a bit like asking "how much is a house?" You can spend a fortune or peanuts, depending on your choices and priorities. A vast amount of stuff that is marketed at new parents is unnecessary, but nice to have.

You need to split your budget into big purchases (cot & other furniture, pushchair, car seat etc) and daily expenses. The big purchases vary enormously - e.g. you can pick up a pushchair for next to nothing second hand, or spend hundreds of pounds. Look around and see what is available, and work out what is important to you. Likewise, you can spend hundreds or thousands kitting out a nursery, or just buy a cheap cot. Remember that so much of this stuff is sold as status symbols to show off to friends - the baby just needs food, shelter and lots of love.

I would say that the "big purchases" for a newborn are:
    * cot or crib
    * pram or pushchair that can go completely flat
    * steam steriliser (not essential but useful)
    * feeding equipment
    * car seat
    * a few sets of clothes

You will often find that https://www.kiddicare.com is the cheapest place for the big purchases - I have bought loads of stuff from them.

If you will be breastfeeding that will make a significant reduction in daily expenses. When you start to give solid food, making your own is the cheapest option, otherwise allow around £15 per week on baby food.

Disposable nappies are a significant expense. If you are buying a birth to potty pack of cloth nappies you will be better off in the long run.

Clothes are quite expensive if bought new from the likes of Adams or Mothercare. You can get cheaper clothes from Asda, Tesco etc. or buy second hand. You'll get plenty of gifts anyway, and if anyone else in your family or friends has had a baby recently you'll probably get inundated with clothes.

I think that the bottom line is that your initial expenditure will be at least several hundred pounds including your nappy pack. You should be able to cover your daily expenses out of the child benefit money if you needed to, although you will probably find yourself splashing out on things for your baby.

Good luck!
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • leftieM
    leftieM Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The equipment is the main thing and you can price that beforehand. Check this website for nappy information. Bambino Mio may be a false economy (but do use cloth!). As for breastfeeding being free - the savings on formula are offset by the cost of high quality Belgian chocolates (or was it just me!!)
    Stercus accidit
  • taliwillow
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I always get told that "You will manage" but I am such an obsessively organised person that I'm not comfortable with such uncertanties. I would at least like to have a rough idea of costs.

Thanks so much benjus for your reply. I am going to go for the birth to potty pack as it is good value and better for the environment. Apparently if Henry Viii was in nappies they would still be in land fill now, which I think is shocking, so I don't want it on my conscience. I don't think I am someone who will want to be flash (I have seen that you can get a cot and mattress from Ikea for £45!) but I think I will probably get one or two items just because I really like them (like a pram). Saying that, my cousin is due to have her first baby in a couple of months so there maybe lots of hande me downs up for grabs. I am not sure whether I will be able to breast feed or not (medical reasons) so need to consider the cost of food.

I have been using a figure of £150 per month required for baby expenses while I'm off work and based on that we will be able to manage if we keep saving. Do you think this figure is too high/too low/about right?

Thanks

Taliwillow
    Current Debt - [strike]£38000[/strike] [strike]£32000[/strike] [strike]£28500[/strike] [strike]£22000[/strike] [strike]£16000[/strike] [strike]£10000[/strike] [STRIKE]£1500[/STRIKE] £14000:eek:
  • carlachloe
    Options
    I think £150 a month is a lot. It all depends on what you are using this money for though. I mean I take it you mean £150 a month after buying the cot, buggy, car seat etc?
  • taliwillow
    Options
    Yes I mean when you already have all the basic stuff. Just for day to day costs like feeding and I'm assuming you regularly need to buy new clothes for them. Are there any other day to day costs?
  • Lydia.42
    Lydia.42 Posts: 384 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I am also trying to sort a budget at the moment. I agree about the lack of info. There wasn't even any info in my contract about maternity leave - it just said refer to HR.
    carlachloe mentioned a grant for £500 to buy cot, etc. Do you have to be recieving benefits to qualify, or is this for everyone? I expect this is a means tested allowance - sounds too good to be true otherwise!!! :o
    L
    What's he building in there???
    Debt at highest £30,450 (Dec 05)
    Debt at lowest £9, 113 (Jul 07)
    How much did we over spend whilst on maternity leave :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts