Where to put my 50k?

Options
Hi just got back from my Lloyds TSB branch depositing a cheque for 46k. Needless to say the teller wasn't going to allow me to make the deposit into my "classic" account and walk out the door. I had to talk to their advisor who tried to get me to open a new account.

I told her I was planning to reseach the "whole of market" for my money but agreed to open an "easy saver" account to keep her happy.

Now I'm looking for the best place to put my savings. I have 2k in my Nationwide "flexi" account which I opened for the free withdrawls abroad, which they've now stopped. 2k in an online egg savings account. I don't have any ISA's but plan to open one for myself and get my partner to open one aswell ( he banks with Santander).

Would I best upgrade my "Classic" account to a "Vantage" account and keep 7k in as this is where my wages are paid in? Where would be the best place for the rest? I plan to move house within the next 6 months so would need easy access.
Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    meniehill wrote: »
    Would I best upgrade my "Classic" account to a "Vantage" account and keep 7k in as this is where my wages are paid in? Where would be the best place for the rest? I plan to move house within the next 6 months so would need easy access.
    Any advice much appreciated.
    You can have up to 3 Vantage accounts, so, potentially, £21,000 earning 4% AER with instant access.
  • CityWalk_2
    Options
    in my pocket
  • Dave101t
    Dave101t Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Options
    you can deposit what you like into your standard account, surely? still lloyds...
    ill tell you where you can shove it....
    nah, just kidding, but dont do this:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-11843543
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
  • meniehill
    Options
    Thanks, I won't be leaving it there for sure :)
  • middlepuss
    Options
    Is this cash you'll need in the next year or so or long term savings?
  • meniehill
    Options
    It's cash I plan to use to move home and buy a larger property.It's money from my late Father's estate so probably won't be in my hands too long, I would imagine less than a year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure